Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 10:30 AM

Cowards!

Will we ever get a Government with the balls to tackle the reform of failing the elderly?

First Labour, then Cameron and Clegg kicked the problem into the long grass because they were too cowardly to have the courage to tackle it.
Now, although she attempted to tackle it in her ghastly run election, Theresa May and her government have now too, kicked it into the long grass.

Don’t we all well remember David Cameron pledging to introduce a cap of £75,000 on the amount any older person would have to pay towards their care fees? -any amount over that would be picked up by the state. That cap has now been officially abandoned…. Which of course brings us back to the scandal of huge care bills wiping out the hard-earned assets and savings of thousands of pensioners.
Of course, we are getting the usual guff from politicians saying that alternative proposals are being considered, but after years of broken promises from all political parties, does anyone believe them?

Something has to be done. A Royal Commission would be a start? This scandal cannot and should not be allowed to continue. It is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Do you agree, or are you in favour of the elderly having to pay for their care?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 10:43 AM

Re: Cowards!

What I'm in favour of is councils running more homes for the elderly making it possible for more to get cheaper care, and families helped to keep older people at home with them. Most countries look at us with horror we don't look after our parents.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 11:19 AM

Very true Julie, I agree with you entirely.

My heart goes out to families who have no choice but to put mum or dad into a care home, and then suffer twice as they have to sell their parents home that could be the only thing they have of value and wanted to leave to their loved ones, only to see instead, they are forced by this and other previous governments, to pay the care home fees, whilst others receiving the same care in the same home, because they have no assets or savings, receiving it free of charge.

I do not for one moment begrudge those who do not have the funds to pay for care receiving same. What I do begrudge however, and to be truthful, it makes my blood boil when I think of it, the systematic robbery of those who have worked hard all their lives and have accrued either some form of asset such as a home or savings. To think that after 40/50 years of saving, they then have it all taken away from them to pay for something which should be free for them tool.

Bevan would be turning in his grave now when he sees what has happened to his oath of "Care from the cradle to the grave".

It really is a scandal, but we have no-one to stand up for them because they are elderly, they and their families are vulnerable and as usual, an easy target.
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 12:09 PM

These are all really good points and I completely agree.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 12:30 PM

Is Joan Bakewell still Minister for the Elderly?
What happened to her?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-10-2017, 01:15 PM

Thank you Newcomer. ruthio. Dame Joan Bakewell? She is useless. Never a peep out of her. She has her title, she has her no doubt, huge salary for the title awarded to her for taking on the job of Champion for the elderly, but where is she? why isn't she on our screens showing her mettle by fighting against such an injustice? It frankly makes me sick.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 01:17 PM

To be fair I think she works really hard trouble is unless you have a trendy problem you won't get in tv etc.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-10-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
To be fair I think she works really hard trouble is unless you have a trendy problem you won't get in tv etc.
No excuse Julie, there is no larger wholesale scandal going on right now than the systematic robbery from the elderly. If she cannot get screentime for such an important matter, it is because she doesn't want to, rather than cannot get it!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 01:25 PM

Hi

There is a simple reason for this, we have not been paying enough tax for decades.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

There is a simple reason for this, we have not been paying enough tax for decades.
I've paid plenty and I'm still doing it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top