Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 04:25 PM

Re: Cowards!

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I've paid plenty and I'm still doing it.

Hi

I repeat, we have not been paying enough tax.

We are still spending more than we collect even with the austerity.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 08:00 PM

SF, We paid the tax that was asked of us, what more could we have done?

All those blessed residents now needing care in either care homes or at home also paid their taxes. What are they getting in return for a lifetime of working and trying to save something for their loved ones now they are unable to contribute any longer, simply for growing old and in need of the care they envisaged would be there for them when they needed it. Instead, it is only available to them by first robbing them of probably their only asset, - their home, and practically all of their hard-earned savings, (which would have been taxed first whilst they were working for it, and secondly by being in a savings account).

I would say that those elderly people have more than paid their fair share to society, only for them and their families to be kicked in the teeth by both Labour and the Tories.

Shame on them.
Shame on anyone who would condone such treatment of the most vulnerable in our society.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
SF, We paid the tax that was asked of us, what more could we have done?

All those blessed residents now needing care in either care homes or at home also paid their taxes. What are they getting in return for a lifetime of working and trying to save something for their loved ones now they are unable to contribute any longer, simply for growing old and in need of the care they envisaged would be there for them when they needed it. Instead, it is only available to them by first robbing them of probably their only asset, - their home, and practically all of their hard-earned savings, (which would have been taxed first whilst they were working for it, and secondly by being in a savings account).

I would say that those elderly people have more than paid their fair share to society, only for them and their families to be kicked in the teeth by both Labour and the Tories.

Shame on them.
Shame on anyone who would condone such treatment of the most vulnerable in our society.
Hi

Our Generation have not paid enough Tax or NI to pay for ourselves, we have had the life of Reilly.

We have been bribed to get Politicians into power.

This has not happened in other Countries where they have paid much more in Tax and who do not now have the same problems with paying for care that we do.

I am a great believer in paying for myself, I do not want my kids to have to pay for me.

It is their job to pay for themselves, not for me.

I have never had a new car, apart from works ones.

I have put the money into Pensions to pay for my lifestyle and any care I need.

I have a £140,000 mortgage until I am 85, which I can easily afford.

I know this sounds mad, but trust me it isn't.

My kids have had my Inheritance already, to give them a start in life, which I never had.

Neither of them have any Student Loans to pay off, I have funded that and the deposits on their houses.

It is all set up to make sure my kids have money and the Government get naff all more.

I am currently single, I hope to meet a nice lady to spend the rest of my life with.

They will not get a penny from the house, but the way I have set things up they will get a hell of a Pension until the day they die.

That is what my Dad did with Wendy, and I am doing the same.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Our Generation have not paid enough Tax or NI to pay for ourselves, we have had the life of Reilly.

We have been bribed to get Politicians into power.

This has not happened in other Countries where they have paid much more in Tax and who do not now have the same problems with paying for care that we do.

I am a great believer in paying for myself, I do not want my kids to have to pay for me.

It is their job to pay for themselves, not for me.

I have never had a new car, apart from works ones.

I have put the money into Pensions to pay for my lifestyle and any care I need.

I have a £140,000 mortgage until I am 85, which I can easily afford.

I know this sounds mad, but trust me it isn't.

My kids have had my Inheritance already, to give them a start in life, which I never had.

Neither of them have any Student Loans to pay off, I have funded that and the deposits on their houses.

It is all set up to make sure my kids have money and the Government get naff all more.

I am currently single, I hope to meet a nice lady to spend the rest of my life with.

They will not get a penny from the house, but the way I have set things up they will get a hell of a Pension until the day they die.

That is what my Dad did with Wendy, and I am doing the same.
That is good SF. I am pleased that you have mapped out your life and those of your children's. You certainly knew how to plan ahead.

Unfortunately, many of those having to pay for the care were not as fortunate as yourself with such great forward planning, but were reassured (wrongly sadly) they had something to leave their dependents, as generations before them had done,either the proceeds of the sale of their only asset - their home, or some savings.

Unfortunately, many of them are what one calls asset-rich but cash poor. both the robbing Labour and Tory governments of past and present knew this and must have rubbed their hands at the meticulously planned robbery of one of the most vulnerable section of our society of the right to leave THEIR property to their dependents, the rightful owners.

The word I have in my thoughts to describe the politician who first dreamed up such an injustice to the elderly in our society, would mean putting £5 into my swear box instead of 5p.
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 09:54 PM

I don’t think it’s unjust to expect people to pay for their own care if they have assets to fund it. I’m fully prepared to do so myself if I have to.

I’d like to leave something for my family but I don’t think I have any entitlement to do so. Nor do I think that my family are entitled to inherit my assets if they are needed to pay for my care.

What concerned me about TM’s plan to make people pay for at home care was the risk that people’s money would be taken but no better care service provided in return. I know from my mother in law’s experience just how poor and inconsistent the current standard of care can be.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-10-2017, 10:24 PM

Hi

A simple view.

Mortgage your house.

Give the money to your kids now, when they need it, a start in life.

The Tax reduces every year, after 7 years your kids pay nothing.

Your mortgage payments are deducted from your contributions to any care costs and you can still give £3000 a year without paying tax.

My kids have had the money already, after paying the Mortgage and bills I still have £2000 a month to spend.

Easy to dole out cash and help them out, even my estranged daughter.

Buy stuff on Ebay, and then give it them.

I have no need at all for saddles or horse blankets and paying for my Sons medical treatment is also exempt.

So is drawing £5,000 out of the bank on holiday and spending it on them.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 02:13 AM

I don't mind paying for my own care - and when I was working, I wouldn't have minded paying more tax towards the care of those who weren't able to pay.
What I would object to, though, is subsiding the cost of other people's care, that the government should be funding, when I'm already an elderly pensioner myself.

My Mum spent her last few years in a care home and I was shocked to discover that she was charged almost twice as much per week in care home home fees than the residents who were being publicly funded. I discovered the councils / govt wouldn't pay the full going rate, which resulted in the care home charging their privately funded residents more than the going rate to make up the shortfall.

As far as I'm aware, this is still a problem that care homes are having with publicly funded care home fees and the privately funded residents are still having to subsidise the government, which is so unfair.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Is Joan Bakewell still Minister for the Elderly?
What happened to her?
She was a bit of a tart wasn't she?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
She was a bit of a tart wasn't she?
Never a truer word spoken in jest.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 05:33 AM

In a great many other countries family used to take care of their elderly themselves. It used to be so in the UK. It should become the norm again unless special care is needed. We have become a more selfish society, happy to dump our responsibilities on governments and through them the taxpayer.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top