Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 11:13 PM

Re: Oh heck...I've made a start...

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Jazzi a good breeder will not let you view the puppies when they are small because of the risk of infection particularly parvo virus.

I agree Meg. There is not much to see that early anyway, only a bed full of little 'blobs.'
I certainly wouldn't allow anyone else to handle them either.

I would wait till at least 4- 5 weeks when they are up and mobile.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 11:48 PM

let me just say this video was taken on an 8mm film video recorder about 30/35 years ago and rescued to allow me to go digital. This is just a small section of a longer film which i have yet to try and improve.

Jade and puppies

Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 12:00 AM

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade but don’t accept that because the KC have the breeders on their accredited scheme, that they are good breeders

Very few are checked

Always start with the breed club. People talk. Those in the breed club will know whose reputable and who’s not
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade but don’t accept that because the KC have the breeders on their accredited scheme, that they are good breeders

Very few are checked

Always start with the breed club. People talk. Those in the breed club will know whose reputable and who’s not

You're right, Missy. That can be very true.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 12:21 AM

yes agree but remember most I suspect belong to breed clubs as well
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
yes agree but remember most I suspect belong to breed clubs as well

But that's where, who knows who comes into the equation

When I was searching for Alfie I got in touch with the breed club in my area and the next two counties. I spoke to the secretaries, spoke about what I was looking for, about my experience of the breed and got given the odd telephone number of breeders who they thought may be able to help, either had litters already or were planning, and then you got talking to them, and then they may give you more contacts, and you end up speaking to quite a few breeders, and people gossip. You get to hear who's best to avoid , who's practices may not be to their own standards

I did get Alfie from a very reputable breeder come the end. About four months later I got a call out of the blue from a breeder who was thinking about sending her bitch to be covered by Alfie's sire, and she was wanting to know what sort of temperament Alfie had. She lived pretty much local and came to meet Alfie to help her make up her mind if the sire was going to be a suitable match

You get the same kind of talk around the shows as well
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 07:55 AM

Jazzi are you looking for a Puppy or an Older dog?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 08:23 AM

Hi everyone, and thanks for your excellent words of advice.

I spent most of yesterday evening going over the KC site, and the Shih Tzu breed website, and yes, agree about asking for tests etc.

Meg, yes, I realised afterwards that asking to see them at this age would be too early, so agree there with you now. At least, at this stage, I'm not rushing with my money.

I think most puppies only come with about a month's insurance, but my plan is, when I know when I'm bringing one home, is to start getting orgsnised, ie booking an appointment with my chosen vet, and sorting out my own insurance, so all is in place.

Susie, I'm buying a pet pen so I can get a pup. That has now been despatched, so should receive very soon. Hope it's not tomorrow when I have an appt in the late afternoon!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->

Very few are checked

I agree, I don't recommend the KC AB list but the site has good information on breed specific conditions and is useful for cross referencing breeders with the club list but not to be relied on on its own.

I always suggest contacting the breed club. Mine has a list of approved members who have signed up to the code of conduct which they email to prospective owners, some on the list will have litters and a few phone calls can lead to information on litters due.

When I was involved with dogs we never advertised puppies, we had a waiting list of would be owners from all over the world.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

11-10-2017, 09:01 AM

A quick detour if I may ....... Meg, how is Chloe now?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top