Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 01:00 AM

How important is the freedom of the Press and News Media?

How important do you think the freedom of the Press and News Media is?

Trump has said that he thinks ‘it’s disgusting that the press is able to write whatever it likes.’

He’s also threatened to revoke licences for news channels which report things he doesn’t like. I find that almost unbelievable coming from the President of a western democracy.

So what’s your opinion of press freedom? Is Trump right? Or can there never be justification in trying to control or stifle the press?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 02:59 AM

Re: How important is the freedom of the Press and News Media?

Hi

I am very glad to live in a country where we have freedom of the Press and where the press can openly criticise the Government.

Having said that there have to be some laws to prevent the promotion of terrorism etc. and that, in the UK at least is mostly online media.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to shut down ISIS sites for example.

Personally, I think we have got the balance right at the moment.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 03:00 AM

Freedom of the press is absolutely essential for any nation valuing democratic rule. Without freedom of the press a nation is nothing but a dictatorship.

That said, I have not yet heard anything about what Trump said.

I am no great admirer of Trump but if he thinks he can withhold broadcast licenses just because he does not like what they say, then he is an even bigger fool than I thought.

However, freedom of the press carries with it a responsibility to the public to tell the absolute truth. Over the past several years, in the U.S., a dozen or more top journalists have been caught in out-right lies. Not minor mistakes, mind you, but completely fabricated lies, from beginning to end. If this is what Trump is referring to then that is a completely different matter.
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 04:09 AM

Bakerman, Trump has tweeted three times in the last few hours about news networks and their licences.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonal...67396493922304

Here's an article which mentions the 'disgusting' comment.

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.c...it-wants%3Famp
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 04:12 AM

He should stop tweeting and start thinking.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 05:40 AM

The American media giants: New York Times, Washington Post, ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN have been at war with the Republican Party since Nixon was president. They, of course, deny this.

But consider the following: during the 2004 presidential election, CBS News anchorman Dan Rather was caught conspiring and fabricating a story against Pres George W. Bush. Dan Rather, the top broadcast journalist for CBS TV News was fired, and is now living in disgrace.

Since then dozens of American journalists have lost their jobs because they were caught fabricating news stories.
I do not expect people from other nations to be aware of what is happening with respect to scandals in major news organizations in America. Just as I am not privy to the happenings in news organizations of other nations.

I think Trump made a bad error of judgement when he tweeted about fake news and threatening to revoke licenses. Which he does not have the power to do. What he should have done, what I would have done, is to wait until he could prove, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that a news story was totally fabricated, and THEN pounce.

If anyone is seriously interested in how bad the situation is in America, there are two books, both written by Bernard Goldberg, the 1st is "Bias" and the second is "Arrogance". They are real eye-openers.

We in America are rapidly approaching a state of crisis between the numerous political factions. People, both liberal and conservative are being severely beaten with clubs, in the streets. I foresee things getting much worse before they get better. A very sad state of affairs, indeed.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
He should stop tweeting and start thinking.
Trump - thinking?

Hmm - no - doesn't work for me. The man's an idiot - a dangerous one!!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 06:20 AM

Sad indeed, Bakerman, but why did people vote for this arrogant, self obsessed, trashy man ?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 07:00 AM

The British press in particular abuse their freedom, I'm all for the freedom of the press but not to write just any old rubbish worded in such a way as not to be libellous just to sell copy. There should be a proper code of ethics that should be adhered to.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 09:07 AM

When will this man realise you can't run a country by tweets.

Do you see other presidents, Prime ministers et al airing their country's dirty washing by tweets.

Bakerman, I've heard elsewhere that America is on the verge of civil war - unbelievable in the 21st century.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top