Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 09:15 AM

Re: How important is the freedom of the Press and News Media?

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Freedom of the press is absolutely essential for any nation valuing democratic rule. Without freedom of the press a nation is nothing but a dictatorship.

That said, I have not yet heard anything about what Trump said.

I am no great admirer of Trump but if he thinks he can withhold broadcast licenses just because he does not like what they say, then he is an even bigger fool than I thought.

However, freedom of the press carries with it a responsibility to the public to tell the absolute truth. Over the past several years, in the U.S., a dozen or more top journalists have been caught in out-right lies. Not minor mistakes, mind you, but completely fabricated lies, from beginning to end. If this is what Trump is referring to then that is a completely different matter.
What? Journalists lying? OMG! Shock and horror! My goodness, I hope the same will never be said of politicians.
How very naive...wake up sunshine!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
The British press in particular abuse their freedom, I'm all for the freedom of the press but not to write just any old rubbish worded in such a way as not to be libellous just to sell copy. There should be a proper code of ethics that should be adhered to.
Yep You've got it right, Ethics seem to go by the wayside with the press at times, and if they get pulled up on it then they shriek, "but we can do that it's called freedom of the press".
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 04:56 PM

Is there any media that is totally impartial, or should it be replaced by A Ministry of Truth? Which seems to be what some are advocating, can’t we live with a few lies? After all I am sure we can pick out the chaff from the wheat, and we all live with lies on a daily basis.

The Ministry of Truth is involved with news media, entertainment, the fine arts and educational books. Its purpose is to rewrite history to change the facts to fit Party doctrine for propaganda effect. For example, if Big Brother makes a prediction that turns out to be wrong, the employees of the Ministry of Truth correct the record to make it accurate. This is the "how" of the Ministry of Truth's existence. Within the novel, Orwell elaborates that the deeper reason for its existence, the "why", is to maintain the illusion that the Party is absolute. It cannot ever seem to change its mind (if, for instance, they perform one of their constant changes regarding enemies during war) or make a mistake (firing an official or making a grossly misjudged supply prediction), for that would imply weakness and to maintain power the Party must seem eternally right and strong.j
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Is there any media that is totally impartial, or should it be replaced by A Ministry of Truth? Which seems to be what some are advocating, can’t we live with a few lies? After all I am sure we can pick out the chaff from the wheat, and we all live with lies on a daily basis.
Yes rehab, who is to say a Ministry of Truth would be any more truthful or impartial. It would turn into another jobs for the boys gravy train.

Imagine someone such as Dianne Abbott.. Minister for Truth
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

12-10-2017, 05:10 PM

I suspect that this might be future under a Labour Government ruled by the Unions and Momentum.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I suspect that this might be future under a Labour Government ruled by the Unions and Momentum.
If that's the case God help us all
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

12-10-2017, 05:16 PM

The Labour Party and Jeremy Corbyn and merely sock puppets, the real bosses of the party are the Union Leaders and Momentum
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
If that's the case God help us all
Well could it be worse than the current shower of shite ruining the country?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Sad indeed, Bakerman, but why did people vote for this arrogant, self obsessed, trashy man ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bakerman,
The very last thing I want to do is defend Trump. I am embarrassed by his ridiculous antics. That said, however, we in the U.S. had two choices in the 2016 election, Trump or Hillary Clinton. For many, it was a choice of the lesser of two evils. For reasons too complicated to go into here, many felt that Clinton was a dangerous leftist.

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
Bakerman, I've heard elsewhere that America is on the verge of civil war - unbelievable in the 21st century.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bakerman
In the sense of vast opposing armies fighting it out in the streets, no, I don't see that happening, however, I do foresee an increase in the violence: radical leftists vs. radical right-wing, blacks against continued police brutality and outright murder of blacks, anarchists vs. everyone, and those who favor Bigger Gov't vs. those who want much less Gov't, those who favor open borders and an increase in illegal immigration vs. those who say enough is enough, build the wall , now.
It's a messy, nasty situation.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

12-10-2017, 05:45 PM

@ Comrade Purwell

A lot worse, we will have a totalitarian society based on the same politics has the old East Germany. If I was Jewish I would have some bags packed.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top