Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Bruce Gilley - “The case for colonialism”

People have protested at Professor Bruce Gilley's argument that colonialism was a force for good. Do you agree or disagree with his views?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/865...illey-academia

http://www.wweek.com/news/2017/10/09...g-colonialism/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 12:07 PM

Re: Bruce Gilley - “The case for colonialism”

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
People have protested at Professor Bruce Gilley's argument that colonialism was a force for good. Do you agree or disagree with his views?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/865...illey-academia

http://www.wweek.com/news/2017/10/09...g-colonialism/
Like most things political it is not black or white but shades of grey there were some good things to come out of colonialism but a lot of terrible things were done in Britain's name too.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 11:08 PM

Imperialism is/was never a good thing. Any argument for imperialism is a non-starter and is only a feeble excuse for enslaving the less fortunate peoples of the world. Reminds me of the argument slave holders used to justify slavery; "We are helping them by bringing them the word of God".
What a load of rubbish !
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 11:30 PM

Take a look at what has happened and is still happening to Africa after the ‘Imperialists’ were kicked out or left. You have a continent which is ungovernable and a money pit for NGO’s, charities, the UN and every other agency you can wave a stick at. But hey! They are free right? And the Swiss banks just love African leaders.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Imperialism is/was never a good thing. Any argument for imperialism is a non-starter and is only a feeble excuse for enslaving the less fortunate peoples of the world. Reminds me of the argument slave holders used to justify slavery; "We are helping them by bringing them the word of God".
What a load of rubbish !
Well if one country can be judged to be experts on slavery then you must be up there in the top 1.
You may no longer enslave...you just invade
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Take a look at what has happened and is still happening to Africa after the ‘Imperialists’ were kicked out or left. You have a continent which is ungovernable and a money pit for NGO’s, charities, the UN and every other agency you can wave a stick at. But hey! They are free right? And the Swiss banks just love African leaders.
I will have to use that example when we are next discussing Brexit
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Like most things political it is not black or white but shades of grey there were some good things to come out of colonialism but a lot of terrible things were done in Britain's name too.
I must respectfully disagree with the first part of Bruce's post.

If we could go back in time, what would Gandhi say about the "shades of grey" ? Or the Boers ? Or the American colonials ?

To use an analogy, if a man dominates and tries to control his wife and even batters her, should we give him any credit for the rare occasions when he takes her out to dinner or when he pays for her dental work ? I say, no ! I say he is bad news and she should do everything within her power to rid herself of him.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 07:19 AM

Things happen, when there is no previous experience to dissuade the happening, maybe this is an excuse?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

13-10-2017, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I will have to use that example when we are next discussing Brexit
Feel free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 11:21 AM

I'd agree is shades of grey, with out it many great people wouldn't be living here now but how we went into countries wasn't good in any shape or form.

I'd suggest many of our problems today are down to it too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top