Join for free
Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 07:03 PM

Re: Gender Neutral

I was reading an article in a magazine last week about a couple in England. The man is now a woman, the woman is now a man and the man has given birth to their baby. According to the article they are being allowed to register the baby as "gender neutral".

Personally I find it weird, confusing and wrong. How on earth will that child ever know what it is, for want of a better word, to be normal? To my mind it´s child abuse and yes, I do think it´s wrong.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by venator ->
First reaction is that this is rather daft. After further thought I conclude that it is rather daft.

Now I can accept that there is a minority who (quite justifiably) fall into the transexual category and would grant them the right to a gender neutral status if they so wished.

For the rest of us, let us rejoice in our gender.
Sadly, I'm afraid we are not allowed to do so.

It is becoming unacceptable to be either male or female. I wouldn't be at all surprised if, in the not too distant future, we'd all be obliged to use the 'Mx' title on official forms in order that we do not continue the appalling practice of indicating our gender!
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
They're not weirdos! They're a section of society that have been largely ignored and abused since time began.
Now they're getting some help and appreciation of the difficulties they face those who have always had rights are complaining.
For heaven's sake, get over the fact that things are changing, for the better.
I wonder if some of those complaining wished they could have considerations like these when they were younger and are now too old to take advantage of new treatments.
I find this constant harping on and on about unfortunate folk who have not chosen to be born in their gender really disgraceful. There but for the grace of God go you.
Worry about things that affect you and let others get on with their lives.
I find I'm embarrassed by many of my generation.
I've really had enough now!
Bye.
Well said.

Other countries allow gender neutral passports and I think it wrong that UK citizens have to be prepared to go to court to try to get them allowed here.

I think that the very fact that campaigners are being allowed to challenge the government’s position on this suggests that the campaigners are likely to get what they’re looking for.

And why not? It doesn’t make any difference to the rest of us who can happily and comfortably identify as either male or female.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 07:21 PM

How do we address one who is gender neutral?

We cannot use familiar terms such as he she or sir madam so if we do not know the name how do we address such a person?

Seriously... my mother referred to someone as coloured a few months ago and was told she had to use the term black because coloured was racist.. She said she thought that black was racist which was why she had used coloured.

Poor woman was in a real confusion and quite upset that her freind might think she was being racist..

If shes now told she cant say lady or gent, she or he madam or sir she will have a meltdown.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
They're not weirdos!
That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

We are not allowed to say certain things these days, but whatever they can do they cannot stop us thinking what we want.

Of course, I would never call them 'weirdos' to their faces. I'm far too polite for that. But my thoughts are my own.
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 07:41 PM

I don’t think there’s any suggestion that you won’t still be able to use those terms. After all, the vast, vast majority of people will still identify as male or female and I’d guess are quite unlikely to come into close contact with a gender neutral person (or to realise it if they do).

We’re only talking about being able to have the right on passport applications to tick a third gender neutral box instead of having to choose either male or female.

I don’t think it’s a big thing. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by venator ->
For the rest of us, let us rejoice in our gender.
There's nothing I like better...unless it's rejoicing the other.

People fighting for this designation are forgetting the purpose of the passport, which is a document to provide identification for international travel. While I understand the desire for some to have to make this change, one has to remember that outside many of the more open, democratic nations, this could cause problems and denials when applying for visas, entering certain countries, or other activities for which a passport would be required in a foreign nation. This is also THE document that matters when seeking diplomatic assistance and identification in a crisis situation.

If we want gender neutrality on documents, it might be better to start with library cards and move on to passports in time . If one is traveling to only open, judicially liberal societies, then it is an arguable point. I don't much care abuot others' self-identification on passports, just my own.

I want my passport to be simple and in line with all official requirements to make it as easy as possible to travel readily and safely. I will check the box marked "goat" if that's what it takes. .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Hi

They are not all weirdos.

There are some where things do not go as normal in pregnancy and who are born with two sets of genitals and or severe hormonal imbalance.

This must be very disturbing for them and it is certainly not a position I would like to be in.

Gender neural passports?

I am not completely convinced for the need.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 08:34 PM

I don't know why people make such a fuss about stuff like this - it's not going to be a life-changing change for all those who object - nobody is stopping men and women who are clear and comfortable with their sex and gender from 'rejoicing in their gender' or from continuing to hold a passport which designates whether they are M or F.
All that is being asked is to review our existing rules to with a view to adding a third category of X, for those who feel unable to self-identify as M or F.

I just feel fortunate that I wasn't born with these added difficulties and certainly don't begrudge those less fortunate from having an X on their passport, if it would make life more comfortable.
Can't see the problem myself.
Ten countries already permit their citizens to opt for a third category, X, or unknown.
Canada was the most recent to offer its citizens gender-neutral passports. Other states that allow a third option are Australia, Denmark, Germany, Malta, New Zealand, Pakistan, India, Ireland and Nepal. X passports are approved by the ICAO, the UN agency that regulates international air travel.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 08:59 PM

I'm very happy for people to be exactly what they want to be.........."people" meaning adults!

However, I resent the resources demanded by the LGBT community for counselling and reconstructive surgery whilst others are left waiting for appointments for a very very long time. I also resent resources being demanded for "gender neutral" facilities, including passports, other legal documents and toilet/changing room facilities. Personally, I don't want to share a changing room with someone who looks like a man but has long hair, hormonal breasts, make-up etc but I don't want my taxes being spent on special toilet/changing room facilities.
Let's prioritise NHS procedures for life saving/enhancing surgeries, before gender changing surgeries. Let's also say that if a person has a penis, that person uses the mens facilities!
I also believe the gender issue should not be discussed or debated in schools............kids need to develop naturally without debates influencing their decisions.

Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top