Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 08:38 PM

Rocking horses

On the assumption that it is OK to post pics of arts and crafts ...

Rocky, made for Master Fruitcake The Elder (MFTE) using traditional methods. I had to teach myself many new skills, from wood carving to leatherwork ... to patience.

The body and head is made from pine planks, the legs from beech for strength and springiness, and the stand is from an old fireplace surround.
The horse was then sealed with rabbit skin glue, then covered in gesso (gilders whiting, the same stuff from which ornate picture frames are made) mixed with the same glue.
It was then finished with water based varnish for the stand and lead free paint for the horse, learning how to dab the dapples with sponge wrapped in stockinette in the process.
I also made the saddle, bridle, and reins, the swingirons and mounting brackets.

Twas a labour of love.

Originally installed and well played with in MFTE's bedroom.

He is now growed up and left home but doesn't have room to put it on show, so it currently lives on our landing. Please excuse the scary ventriloquist doll.

This is Harriet Horse, made for MFTY ( ... Younger)
We adopted him when he was three so I needed to make Harrier fast. Consequently she was made from jelutong, which is a very light wood with the carving properties of balsa wood. The stand was made from sturdy douglas fir.
I still had all the patterns and jigs from Rocky, and managed completed her within a couple of months.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 08:47 PM

Re: Rocking horses

How lovely - and how clever, Fruitcake. Your two boys must have been so proud to have such wonderful toys made by their dad - and I bet they had many happy adventures on their special steeds.

Those will be handed down to the grandchildren in time - I am sure.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 09:33 PM

I am seriously impressed fruitcake. I once watched a programme about how traditional rocking horses were made and it's not easy. I have always fancied making one myself after that programme but probably never will.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:27 PM

Really, really good Fruitcake.

You are a clever old thing.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:30 PM

Very nice Fruitcake, I'm impressed ...
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Really, really good Fruitcake.

You are a clever old thing.
Hey, less of the ...

never mind.

... and thanks to everyone who has commented.

It is all the more surprising as I dropped woodwork in year three and went on to get an O-Level in Metalwork instead.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:41 PM

These are lovely.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:45 PM

Fruitcake, did you make the ventriloquist doll as well?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 11:00 PM

The rocking horses are really beautiful, well done indeed.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 11:05 PM

I knew they would all love them Fruity.
I also love this section.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top