Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 09:55 AM

Re: A cashless society - the push for plastic

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
And what about my allotment shop? They can't accept card payments.
There is no reason why they couldn't have a card payment system. My son is a one man business and he accepts card payments using an iZettle. He has used this for the last 3-4 years most successfully. I believe it even does contactless cards.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 10:04 AM

I/We very rarely carry cash,everything is done with a card.
Freespirit
Dorset, UK
Freespirit is female  Freespirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's my idea of hell. You'd need to ensure your phone is charged to pay for something. Then you lose the signal halfway through. You get home and find someone has hacked your account. No thanks.

I've been told by a colleague that new computers are now using face recognition to log on. Another nightmare. If someone can create a land where we are not constantly plugged into a central system with our lives monitored 24/7 I will be moving there.

I read the other day that on the one hand there is a drive for all this and on the other a growing group of people who are resistant to the "internet of things". They mentioned the challenge to the monopoly holds of MS & FB to be replaced with multiple less omnipotent versions. Even teens are going on tech-detox breaks. I see the cashless drive as just another push for centralisation and control. A scenario that is pitted with risks for the future. Should a malignant force take over all the data and systems we'd be paralised.
AnnieS, after cashless, cards will be obsolete soon, people will be chipped and before you laugh it has already happened, a company has chipped its employees. I'm afraid Science fiction is no longer we are now living with it.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 03:55 PM

OMG! We are all doomed! Again...every new invention from the wheel to the printing press and to computers has generated its own version of the Tolpuddle Martyrs. Progress is like a snowball rolling down hill gaining mass and speed as it goes along, we will be caught up in it. And all the protests won’t change a damn thing
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 04:03 PM

I could manage without cash

My older brother who never had children and consequently is very wealthy always uses cash, he won't have a card.
He occasionally comes to take me out to lunch and produces a roll of notes with which to pay.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I do not use a credit card, except for buying online, as insurance should there be a problem. Everything else is paid for on my Debit card (same as using cash).

I have never seen an "honesty box" anywhere.
They are quite common in the country for eggs or apples or whatever.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 09:08 PM

Whereas I use cards for an increasing number of purchases, especially online, I still find the need for cash as well. Small purchases are more easily, and more quickly, paid for with cash. In addition to that, purchases by credit card are often subject to a small charge; one or two percent is not uncommon. Debit cards do not usually incur such charges, though.

Then, of course, larger purchases are covered by the card provider as part of the service.

What I do find has virtually disappeared, at least in my case, is cheques. At one time I'd routinely pay for tradesmen's services, for example, with a cheque, I now always pay by bank transfer. The funds go into their account instantly and they don't have a trip to their bank branch (rapidly disappearing, by the way) to contend with.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Whereas I use cards for an increasing number of purchases, especially online, I still find the need for cash as well. Small purchases are more easily, and more quickly, paid for with cash. In addition to that, purchases by credit card are often subject to a small charge; one or two percent is not uncommon. Debit cards do not usually incur such charges, though.

Then, of course, larger purchases are covered by the card provider as part of the service.

What I do find has virtually disappeared, at least in my case, is cheques. At one time I'd routinely pay for tradesmen's services, for example, with a cheque, I now always pay by bank transfer. The funds go into their account instantly and they don't have a trip to their bank branch (rapidly disappearing, by the way) to contend with.
I used to get cheques books on a regular basis but not any longer, the only people I know who insists on payment by cheque is my dentist which I find odd.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 09:12 AM

There is a Movie on Netflix called "Zeitgeist" and it has 2 addendums. In there Rockefeller is quoted as saying " It is the objective of every country to have every resident Chipped" cash will be phased out.
It's an interesting movie certainly worth checking out. Start with Zeitgeist then on to the addendums.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I am married, I don’t have cash
tried to tell you this over a year ago. But you didn't believe meeeeee.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top