Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 10:48 AM

Oh Bo*****s.

2 of, to be exact.

Now...de-knacker... should I? shouldn't I?

HIM not me.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 10:59 AM

Re: Oh Bo*****s.

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
2 of, to be exact.

Now...de-knacker... should I? shouldn't I?

HIM not me.

Two for the price of one???
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 11:09 AM

Personally I would say if he is going to be purely a family pet, then most definitely yes. It can save you a lot of grief in the long run. Territory marking in the house, chasing after female dogs in heat (they can be very determined in making their escape when they detect such a thing).

Why not have a word with your Vet and take what advice he gives.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Two for the price of one???
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

15-10-2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Personally I would say if he is going to be purely a family pet, then most definitely yes. It can save you a lot of grief in the long run. Territory marking in the house, chasing after female dogs in heat (they can be very determined in making their escape when they detect such a thing).

I'd much prefer listening to experienced owners like yourself......no monetary interest...
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 11:40 AM

Most definitely Yes, if you have no plans to use him for breeding. You dont want him humping visitor's legs.
Freespirit
Dorset, UK
Freespirit is female  Freespirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy View Post

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I'd much prefer listening to experienced owners like yourself......no monetary interest...
I agree with clumsy, I have had dogs as pets for 40 years and always had them done, males and females and haven't experienced any problems.
I feel we have enough rescue dogs in this country that require homes.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 12:16 PM

Any male dog we have had has been castrated, and that includes our first tiny Pomeranian. He was the first small dog we had ever owned but he was a first class territory marker. This wasn't noticed for a time, it was when the bottom of cupboards started disintegrating it was noticed. Tiny amounts of wee, but considerable damage caused. After castration, no problem.

The Labrador, normally the most well behaved (after puppyhood) of dogs, became an absolute nightmare if there was a female dog on heat anywhere within 50 miles (or so it seemed, haha), he also became an real master at escape, very sneaky. If out on the lead it was even worse, he was a very big dog and exceptionally strong. If he decided he was going after some female he would literally pull me over in his attempts to get there. Castration is the only answer the vet said. The vet was right, after castration, well a few weeks after, he became 100% better, not a problem at all, he even stopped humping peoples legs and cushions.

I think it also "dampens down" much of any testosterone fuelled aggression, which can only be good, especially with strong, muscular dogs.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

15-10-2017, 03:23 PM

Yes, I agree that it needs doing.....I was just curious to see what you all thought as all of my dogs have been rescue dogs so came without tackle.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 04:27 PM

Personally, I have only ever had one male dog castrated, and that was mainly because he was a randy little devil and kept knocking him over and humping my son when he was a little boy.
I have never had a male castrated since.

I have only girls now, but all my GSD boys were left entire all their lives and were never once a problem. None marked the house, none ever tried to hump humans, none were aggressive and certainly none were allowed to roam to impregnante passing females!
Also, none ever got testicular cancers - which is often another reason vets give for getting them done.
This last bit amuses me, because how many vets would be castrated incase they got testicular cancer one day?

I know some won't agree Terry, but personally I would get to know him really well first. Watch him closely for a few weeks.
You are used to this breed, use your own judgement to anylise his behaviour.
If he doesn't mark indoors, doesn't show any aggression, doesn't try to mate everything alive, and doesn't try to abscond looking for crumpet, I would leave him be, myself, can't see the need if he's a good boy and behaves.

Some owners think it will be a cure-all for everything - but I prefer training to surgery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top