Join for free
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 04:18 PM

Rewind

Old article which I found.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/britai...the-eu-2016-11

Under international law and under Article 50 (1) itself, only notice to leave is necessary.

If Article 50(2) is ‘triggered’ it implies that the UK government accepts that the EU will decide the conditions of UK’s withdrawal.

So what could have been a straightforward exit has been obstructed with avoidable delays.
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 05:02 PM

Re: Rewind

That article seems to be urging the UK to act illegally by disregarding its legal treaty obligations. Obligations it willingly signed up to.

Giving notice to leave the EU is the same thing as triggering Article 50 which sets out the process by which a member state can leave.

The current obstructions have been placed by the UK negotiating team who still haven’t realised or accepted that the EU has the upper hand. I know Brexiters won’t like me saying this but the UK is a supplicant and dependent on the EU for any crumbs they might offer us as far as the future relationship is concerned. The EU isn’t legally bound to offer us anything over and above what might be our due from the ‘divorce’ exit settlement.

We wanted to leave, we told the EU how awful we thought they were and we’ll probably only get what that approach deserves. Good will is so important when you’re trying to negotiate and we seem to have wittingly thrown that away.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 06:09 PM

Hi

The EU is under no obligation at all to give the UK any transition period or any trade deal at all.

The EU is obliged to look after it's Members, which it is doing.

No Deal will leave the EU Billions better off.

Brexit is only a big thing in the UK.

It barely features in the news on the Continent, they have just accepted that it is happening and are getting on with their plans for the future, without the UK,
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 07:30 PM

EU will keep moving the goalposts. Game over.
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 08:31 PM

What goalposts have they moved?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The EU is under no obligation at all to give the UK any transition period or any trade deal at all.

The EU is obliged to look after it's Members, which it is doing.

No Deal will leave the EU Billions better off.

Brexit is only a big thing in the UK.

It barely features in the news on the Continent, they have just accepted that it is happening and are getting on with their plans for the future, without the UK,
That's interesting I wondered if it was important to Europe. Certainly doesn't get much news time here either except occasionally for example when Boris Johnson visited then Brexit got a short splurge of news.

Just as a matter of interest I looked at the ABC News site, world news section and there is nothing about Britain except for the Police investigations into that Weinstein fellow. The rest of the world news concerns North Korea, California, Indonesia, Ireland, Austria, Raqqa (Iraq) and China. Britain does get in the news here occasionally but not that often -

I recall that many years ago when my old man visited me he complained that according to the news Britain didn't seem to exist but then I doubt Australia features in the UK news much either.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 05:02 AM

We very rarely have any news about Australia here Bruce. Mainly about the cricket or if your PM says something controversial. But many Brits do think everyone in the World is talking about Brexit just because we are. The world keeps on turning even though ours is stuck in Groundhog day.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 11:22 AM

I listen to the World Service during the night and that gives a far better overview of what is happening outside our self-obsessed bubble. Bruce, one presenter does a link from Australia, but I suppose only night owls such as me listen to him.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top