Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 05:12 AM

Farmers Will ‘Grow More Food’ Under ‘No Deal’ Brexit, Says Minister Chris Grayling

This apparent throwaway comment made me laugh because who will be around to pick all this food (pensioners?) and where exactly will we be growing it when land needs cultivation? How will it be cheaper than it is now? Most importantly, how are they going to grow more food in time for a hard brexit?

I predict a massive drive to recruit farmers from the EU and agri degrees being the new media studies.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b03a7be581440a
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 05:47 AM

Re: Farmers Will ‘Grow More Food’ Under ‘No Deal’ Brexit, Says Minister Chris Grayling

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
This apparent throwaway comment made me laugh because who will be around to pick all this food (pensioners?) and where exactly will we be growing it when land needs cultivation? How will it be cheaper than it is now? Most importantly, how are they going to grow more food in time for a hard brexit?

I predict a massive drive to recruit farmers from the EU and agri degrees being the new media studies.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b03a7be581440a
There is no way Britain could ever be self sufficient in food there is just not enough land to support the population.

Figures for self sufficiency vary from 2 acres per person to 17 acres per person and I suppose it depends on what you mean by self sufficiency but even on the best figure Britain is not even close to being able to feed itself even if every acre was arable.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 06:39 AM

Re: Farmers Will ‘Grow More Food’ Under ‘No Deal’ Brexit, Says Minister Chris Grayling

Hi

Chris Grayling knows naff all about farming and has proved it by this stupid statement.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
There is no way Britain could ever be self sufficient in food there is just not enough land to support the population.

Figures for self sufficiency vary from 2 acres per person to 17 acres per person and I suppose it depends on what you mean by self sufficiency but even on the best figure Britain is not even close to being able to feed itself even if every acre was arable.
If there are tariffs on EU sourced food then that will create more opportunities for British farmers to increase production or diversify.

The comment did not say that the UK can be self sufficient in food production and whoever extrapolated that from his comment is a moron.

This scenario would open up the UK market to other food producers from countries outside the EU which would be great for them and would help emerging economies around the globe....win-win!

Obviously EU sourced food will still be available so you can support your precious EU by buying their products as much as you want. It's just that it will cost you !!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
If there are tariffs on EU sourced food then that will create more opportunities for British farmers to increase production or diversify.

The comment did not say that the UK can be self sufficient in food production and whoever extrapolated that from his comment is a moron.

This scenario would open up the UK market to other food producers from countries outside the EU which would be great for them and would help emerging economies around the globe....win-win!

Obviously EU sourced food will still be available so you can support your precious EU by buying their products as much as you want. It's just that it will cost you !!
Hi

UK farming is already one of the most efficient in the world.

WTO Tariffs would apply to all food equally, not just the EU, those are WTO rules, the only exception being where we negotiate a specific Free Trade Agreement with a country.

As there is a formal complaint already lodged at the WTO by the USA and others, this is not likely to be anytime soon.

Grayling's comments are the source of much ridicule amongst the local farming community.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 08:32 AM

My nephew was going to New Zealnd and has had a few job offers there after completing his degree, he has decided to stay in the UK though and has just accepted a job assisting in setting up a robotic farm. I'm not sure exactly what a robotic farm is but he tells me it's the future of farming, doubtless I will find out more next time I see him.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 08:35 AM

The point is... why bother? there are plenty of countries that produce better, cheaper, healthier food in far greater quantities. Who would buy British produce knowing it's track record? (Let's face only China's record is worse). Far better to concentrate on something Britain does well and just import food.
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 08:43 AM

Even during the war we were not self sufficient. That's why we had the merchant navy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 09:31 AM

Good post that is what I took from the comment.
Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The point is... why bother? there are plenty of countries that produce better, cheaper, healthier food in far greater quantities. Who would buy British produce knowing it's track record? (Let's face only China's record is worse). Far better to concentrate on something Britain does well and just import food.
Why bother ? Because we should try to produce what we can IMO there are many miles of land not used and set aside if that was all brought into production we would be far better off.

And healthier food ? There are scientific reasons local foods are better for you, if you eat local sourced foods you are much less likely to get allergies particularly hay fever types. Perennial rhinitis is becoming more common here, tests seem to be showing that's due to eating foods that are not grown here.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 09:37 AM

I thought set aside was also to give the ground a rest?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top