Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 09:45 AM

Re: Farmers Will ‘Grow More Food’ Under ‘No Deal’ Brexit, Says Minister Chris Grayling

So the answer will be to import more food goods from across the world?? How will that help the economy with the extra costs and also the carbon footprint of such goods? I know countries such as Kenya, for example, need to export their goods, but I object to buying a pack of green beans grown there when it could come from either the UK or an EU country.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 10:21 AM

Re: Farmers Will ‘Grow More Food’ Under ‘No Deal’ Brexit, Says Minister Chris Grayling

Hi

Set Aside payments were abolished in 2008.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

But surely they still have to rest the land every few years? Or have they worked out ways to avoid that?
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 10:31 AM

When is all said and done folks.
Have you not heard?

Tell 'em to go get stuffed Theresa my Love.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
But surely they still have to rest the land every few years? Or have they worked out ways to avoid that?
Hi

You can monocrop, but it is a highly chemical method and expensive.

Crop rotation is used around here,it works.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 10:44 AM

Hi

There is still a lot of land not in use. I know farm near our caravan has several fields he no longer uses because of walkers and I hate to say it but perhaps we need to direct walkers not to walk on crop fields, the ramblers among us aren't really wanting to damage crops but often that's the way we are directed to walk.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 10:59 AM

Hi

Chris Grayling knows naff all about farming and has proved it by this stupid statement.
I know naff too but I do remember when a cleaner for their local offices I heard them chatting once .. and one's exact words were ..
The public would go ape if they knew what grants farmers got.

I understand him to be talking about EU grants and subsidies to plant hedgegrows etc.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I know naff too but I do remember when a cleaner for their local offices I heard them chatting once .. and one's exact words were ..

I understand him to be talking about EU grants and subsidies to plant hedgegrows etc.
I always think you rarely see a poor farmer. I also am amazed at how many don't seem to work particularly hard either, it wasn't like that a few years ago, farmers worked really hard back then.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I always think you rarely see a poor farmer. I also am amazed at how many don't seem to work particularly hard either, it wasn't like that a few years ago, farmers worked really hard back then.
I have been watching the excellent series "This Farming Life" featuring Scottish farmers. The impression I got from watching all of these programmes was how incredibly hard, and dangerous farming can be. Involving the whole family twenty four hours a day. I see they are repeating the programmes and there is one on BBC2 at 4.15 today. I became quite hooked on these programmes and have tremendous admiration for the dedication of those people.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

16-10-2017, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->

Hi

The system has changed dramatically from what it was a few years ago.

It is now based on size, and the big boys get vast payments.

The EU wanted to limit payments to the big outfits, but the UK objected.

The limit they wanted was 300,000 Euros, which is a huge amount.

An extract from wiki

Some countries in the EU have larger agricultural sectors than others, notably France and Spain, and consequently receive more money under the CAP.[68] Countries such as the Netherlands and the United Kingdom have particularly urbanised populations and rely very little on agriculture as part of their economy (in the United Kingdom agriculture employs 1.6% of the total workforce and in the Netherlands 2.0%). The UK therefore receives less than half what France gets, despite a similar sized economy and population.[69] Other countries receive more benefit from different areas of the EU budget. Overall, certain countries make net contributions, notably Germany (the largest contribution overall) and the Netherlands (the biggest contribution per person), but also the UK and France. The largest per capita beneficiaries are Greece and Ireland.

The small and medium sized farmers do not get a lot, but the big outfits get a fortune.

Small and medium Tenant Farmers work very hard and many are going out of business, along with a few suicides.

We even pay a billionaire Arab Sheik over £20k a year for the grassland for his race horses.

This is a good read.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...f-cash-to-rich

One of the big landowners here boasts he does not need the money, last year he bought a Bentley with his payment and this year he is contemplating a McClaren.

A most obnoxious man.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top