Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 01:09 AM

No limit on stupidity

By now everyone has heard about the wildfires raging across California. The full resources of the state, and neighboring states, are being brought to bear. Specially equipped helicopters and fixed wing aircraft, even special large jets, load up with water and chemical fire retardants, and then make endless round-trips between airports, lakes and the fire zones.

Today some moron was flying his drone directly over one of the many airports which are dedicated to fighting the fires.
This caused the airport to be shut down because of the extreme danger posed to the aircraft which can easily be brought down if it comes into contact with a drone.

The police soon located that idiot, arrested him, confiscated his drone and jailed him. Perhaps a night in jail and a hefty fine will educate him. But don't hold your breath.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 01:35 AM

Re: No limit on stupidity

It seems impossible to enforce any kind of law on the pesky things. IMO they should ban private ownership of drones. Whatever happened to Amazon's plan to deliver parcels using them?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
By now everyone has heard about the wildfires raging across California. The full resources of the state, and neighboring states, are being brought to bear. Specially equipped helicopters and fixed wing aircraft, even special large jets, load up with water and chemical fire retardants, and then make endless round-trips between airports, lakes and the fire zones.

Today some moron was flying his drone directly over one of the many airports which are dedicated to fighting the fires.
This caused the airport to be shut down because of the extreme danger posed to the aircraft which can easily be brought down if it comes into contact with a drone.

The police soon located that idiot, arrested him, confiscated his drone and jailed him. Perhaps a night in jail and a hefty fine will educate him. But don't hold your breath.
We have had similar here at our main airports....near misses reported.

I think it's inevitable that there will be a major incident in the not so distant future.

Nobody in the UK has been caught/prosecuted as of yet.

I don't think 5 years jail is unreasonable for putting 150 passengers lives at risk.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It seems impossible to enforce any kind of law on the pesky things. IMO they should ban private ownership of drones. Whatever happened to Amazon's plan to deliver parcels using them?
Why should they be banned?

In the right hands and piloted correctly they are harmless fun.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->

Hear, hear...

Perhaps they need laws - these apply in NSW:

How simple is that?

Drones used for sport or recreational purposes that weigh 150kg or less are considered to be operating privately and are regulated by the same provisions as for model aircraft.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 02:19 AM

We have had similar here at our main airports....near misses reported.

I think it's inevitable that there will be a major incident in the not so distant future.

Nobody in the UK has been caught/prosecuted as of yet.

I don't think 5 years jail is unreasonable for putting 150 passengers lives at risk.
I agree, Tpin. It should be a simple matter for legislators to pass a law, criminalizing the flying of drones within 5 miles (8 Km) of an airport.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 09:14 AM

Absolutely right.

My photographer son has a drone, which he uses both for work commissions and fun photography. He recently did a video for a local hotel showing aerial shots of the grounds and then the approach up the steps and through the door. Several of his friends in the business have taken their licences in order to further their business, but he plans on just doing it as a sideline.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 09:23 AM

In the right hands. Unfortunately any idiot can buy one.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 09:25 AM

In the right hands, yes , but who decides which are the right hands. No license will do that, bit like guns. Perhaps something built into them that restricts the height that they are able to reach to around 200 feet, also a signal a bit like a mobile phone that can be picked up by the police and then traced . Loads of things that can be done , but manufacturers would have to be forced into doing that .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 09:28 AM

Well I'm sorry I'm with the banning them crowd. We had a horrible time with an idiot buzzing our dogs when we were on the common, it completely freaked Elsie out she can't see them coming and Betty nearly ran away ! It buzzed so low it was eventually caught by another walker, he smashed it up, very satisfying that was

The moron flying it was very upset I couldn't seem to find it in me to feel sorry for his loss.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top