Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 02:47 PM

Anyone know about renting legalities ?

Not me btw, a friend of ours is in a privately rented home, due to her landlord keep looking through her windows she has put window film on them, plastic coloured patterned, static cling no glue or sticky stuff. Her land lord says that's illegal he can evict her. I feel really bad because I suggested the film for privacy !

Anyone know who is in the right here, land lord or tenant.

Seems mean but the law isn't always kind I'm thinking.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 03:18 PM

Re: Anyone know about renting legalities ?

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not me btw, a friend of ours is in a privately rented home, due to her landlord keep looking through her windows she has put window film on them, plastic coloured patterned, static cling no glue or sticky stuff. Her land lord says that's illegal he can evict her. I feel really bad because I suggested the film for privacy !

Anyone know who is in the right here, land lord or tenant.

Seems mean but the law isn't always kind I'm thinking.
Providing the 'film' is not permanent and can be removed as and when or if your friend decides to vacate and providing the 'film' meets current safety (fire) standards, there is nothing her Landlord can do to evict her. If he continues to try peering into her flat, she should report him to the Police as a 'peeping tom'. Good luck to your friend Julie darlin'.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 03:24 PM

It depends on her contract Julie. She should obtain evidence of his harassment and looking through the Windows. Then she will have a case if he tries to evict her. Do you know why he is looking through the window?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 03:26 PM

She should have tenant's rights, as in, it is her home and he has no right doing that. LLs should leave their tenants alone, if they are paying their rent on time and behaving well.

I'm not sure who she should complain to though, in case he uses that against her to try for illegal eviction.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 03:39 PM

It's what they recommend to us by our council so it does meet all requirements. He looks through because he's nosey the last tenant left because he just wouldn't leave her alone, he seems to think he owns the place so has some hold over the tenant.

I think police might be best advice if she waits until after dark she can even say she doesn't know who he is, naughty but might get it taken more seriously.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 03:44 PM

as she never thought of curtains or blinds?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 03:47 PM

if my son who is a landlord wishes to check up on how his tenant is treating his property he has to make agreeable arrangements between himself and his tenant. This is usually done be the letting agent acting as an intermediary. (he hasn't had to bother)
A landlord is not allowed to intimidate a tenant and to evict a sitting tenant may need a court order, and even then showing good cause .

In the above it could be classed as harrassment- intimidation as well is privacy intrusion, all arrestable offences.

She should consider get one of these and put it on her widow ledge or one like it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LESHP-Wildl...ovement+sensor
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

17-10-2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by doctor ->
as she never thought of curtains or blinds?
Both need to have permanent fixings, fixings she would be charged for if she drilled into his property. The film allows light in with out prying eyes.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

17-10-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
if my son who is a landlord wishes to check up on how his tenant is treating his property he has to make agreeable arrangements between himself and his tenant. This is usually done be the letting agent acting as an intermediary. (he hasn't had to bother)
A landlord is not allowed to intimidate a tenant and to evict a sitting tenant may need a court order, and even then showing good cause .

In the above it could be classed as harrassment- intimidation as well is privacy intrusion, all arrestable offences.

She should consider get one of these and put it on her widow ledge or one like it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LESHP-Wildl...ovement+sensor

Thank you that's helpful. I'll pass it on to her.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 04:10 PM

Hi

Tenants are legally entitled to quiet enjoyment, what he is doing constitutes Harassment.

Council should be the first call.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top