Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 04:21 AM

Re: Shifts

In my youth, I worked for 10 years, as a computer operator, on a 7-day 3-shift system - I didn't mind the hours because I got a 33% shift allowance on my salary and I didn't mind the work because, once the machine was set to run, I could sit back and relax until something required attention (usually every hour or so) .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Permanent night shifts must be awful, as night becomes day ...and visa versa.
Totally disagree.

Permanent night shifts are better for your health than rotating shifts. I have known people (miners mostly) who worked permanent nights. They had their evening's out with friends family before going straight to work then in the morning came home and went to bed before rising late afternoon.

Not a bad existence if you ask me and the pay was terrific with all the unsociable hours loading and bonuses. Working three shifts you never get used to any of them and no loading for day shift other than shiftwork loading.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 11:17 AM

Permanent nights aren't that bad, changing shifts are far more difficult to cope with IMO

The only time it got to me was Christmas when I'd worked until 7am, got home and kids were up waiting to open presents and I ended up not getting into bed until Boxing Day morning, I was working on caffeine and sugar to keep me going that last shift.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 02:48 PM

I'm still doing shifts,4x12 hrs days one week Monday to Thursday,3x12 hr nights the next Monday til Thursday.I've done 4 on 4 off alternate days and night,being doing shifts for 42 yrs now,the end when it comes will be welcome.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 04:25 PM

I can well imagine it will be, that's a long time of alternating shifts. I'm looking forward to my husband getting to an age to stop working the 4am starts that were hard in his youth wipe him out these days.
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 06:41 PM

My husband was a lorry driver, and worked nights for 25 years.
But then he became ill and was at home all day. I wondered how we would get on being as we had only had week ends together,
And although he was seriously ill, neither of us stopped talking, we were telling each other stories and things that had happened when he was on nights.
But he always used to say it wasn't natural working nights.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 07:13 PM

Hi

For 4 years in the latter part of my life I worked 3 ten hour night shifts, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, with the Police.

Seven hours out, 3 hours paperwork.

Monday was 6 hours, our Court Day.

Any adjournments were hell, it really disrupted life.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Marion ->
My husband was a lorry driver, and worked nights for 25 years.
But then he became ill and was at home all day. I wondered how we would get on being as we had only had week ends together,
And although he was seriously ill, neither of us stopped talking, we were telling each other stories and things that had happened when he was on nights.
But he always used to say it wasn't natural working nights.

Ah Marion, I bet you reflect on the making of those memories too.

As for me, getting up at 7.30 is like doing a night shift!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top