Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 11:00 AM

Re: My day yesterday including verbal abuse!

Sorry you had such an unpleasant evening, as swim says the lady was ill, it's a shame and she did apologise which to me goes a long way to making it better.

I feel very sorry for her she has a hard life ahead of her with this illness.

Btw I've heard similar about that musical, I thought it sounded pretty good but few people seem to have enjoyed it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The lady who handed out the abuse is Bi Polar, it is an illness, in the same way that diabetes is.

Bi Polar, like diabetes is treatable, but like diabetes things can sometimes go wrong.

Just be thankful that you or a family member do not develop it.

She apologised, she knew what had happened.

The real pillocks would not have apologised at all and those are the ones I have no time for, not the ones who are ill.

I understand what you are saying Swim, but Carol would have had no idea the lady was ill when the verbal attack began, so I can fully understand why it would be quite worrying to be fair.

It certainly would have worried me that it might turn physical. I don't think that is an unreasonable feeling if I was confronted by a total stranger in that situarion.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The lady who handed out the abuse is Bi Polar, it is an illness, in the same way that diabetes is.

Bi Polar, like diabetes is treatable, but like diabetes things can sometimes go wrong.

Just be thankful that you or a family member do not develop it.

She apologised, she knew what had happened.

The real pillocks would not have apologised at all and those are the ones I have no time for, not the ones who are ill.
Yes Swim.
I must temper what I said in my post with your post.
To tell you the truth, the bipolar bit didn't sink in, and It was still a bit of bad and upsetting incident for Carol though.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 12:48 PM

Shame about the musical and the incident, Carol.

I've never yet had a musical that disappointed me, but I do choose them carefully. I know you are into that kind of music so guess it would have been a disappointment.

One I regret not going to a second, third, fourth time etc., was Bombay Dreams. I went with a crowd from our Bank (so Indian colleagues mostly) and it was absolutely wonderful! Written by comedian/actor Meera Syal.

Have seen Miss Saigon, Les Mis and Time multi times. Blood Brothers once, and enjoyed that.

So I do pick and choose carefully.

Only ever walked out of a play once and that was by Tom Stoppard, think it was called Jumpers, and never seen such a load of tripe in all my life!! We left in the interval.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 03:37 PM

Carol, I am sorry you were disappointed. I too had hoped that it would have been an exceptional evening for you, and thought it was great that you were taking public transportation to get there. I am sorry that neither worked out.

Thank you for posting about your experience. When my grandmother had Alzheimers and later my daughter had encephalitis, they would sometimes say and do very strange things in public.

At the height of her disease, and with no other option, I would take my daughter to the market with me once a week. I was always grateful for a kind word and patience from strangers when she exhibited full-body complex tics (akin to cerebral palsy movements or Parkinson's) or had Tourette's type outbursts (without the swearing). We were a comical and odd pair, with her stumbling down the aisles, grabbing things off the shelves, me putting them back, her suddenly cawing like a crow... well, you get the idea . Shoppers and clerks who offerred a smile or friendly comment people were lifesavers in our personal storm, and made what was a very stressful (I didn't want to make other people uncomfortable) outing, manageable.

It was a very brave thing for that woman to be out and braver for her to apologize. Anyway, I appreciate the food for thought, and for the inspiration to break out the Carole King music!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2017, 04:13 PM

Goodness me Carol how distressing.
Sorry to hear about the show as well. I meant to see it in London.
I went to see Dream Girls on Tuesday and it was brilliant!!!!
I bought my ticket on the day, and I got £100 off the price.
I am now going to see what is on at the Mayflower in Southampton.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Hi Carol.
Sorry to hear about the incident at the bus stop. These chavs get everywhere don't they?

We mentioned the 'Beautiful' musical a while ago didn't we, and said we'd reappear to give out verdicts.
Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as you had hoped though. I'll be seeing it next month and I'll let you know what I think
I look forward to hearing your opinion Floydy.

I expected more audience participation. At the end, about half the audience stood up in their seats and started doing the usual bopping about & clapping their hands. I thought we were in for a good session but she only did one song and that was it - the end. Chris & I were astonished. We wanted to have a bop about but didn't get the chance!!

Another thing I didn't like was when 'The Drifters' came on to do one of the songs Carole wrote for them. The sounded ok but the audience was laughing at them because they decided to exaggerate their hand & leg movements as they sang - they did look funny..

I was wanting to enjoy the music - not have a laugh.

I was expecting more of Neil Sedaka too seeing as he wrote 'Oh Carole' for her but he only popped on for 30 seconds doing a funny interpretation of 'Oh Carol'

As musicals go it was ok but not the best I've seen.

£49 for two hours of mediocre entertainment.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 08:25 AM

I love live music, I'm always one of those stood up dancing in the aisles

Going to see Dennis Locorriere next week, remember him from Dr Hook? He is always good fun, he sits down on the edge of the stage and tells stories about his adventures as well as good music.

Sorry you didn't think much of the show Carol, maybe it was a different production to some of the others and wasn't as good.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I look forward to hearing your opinion Floydy.

I expected more audience participation. At the end, about half the audience stood up in their seats and started doing the usual bopping about & clapping their hands. I thought we were in for a good session but she only did one song and that was it - the end. Chris & I were astonished. We wanted to have a bop about but didn't get the chance!!

Another thing I didn't like was when 'The Drifters' came on to do one of the songs Carole wrote for them. The sounded ok but the audience was laughing at them because they decided to exaggerate their hand & leg movements as they sang - they did look funny..

I was wanting to enjoy the music - not have a laugh.

I was expecting more of Neil Sedaka too seeing as he wrote 'Oh Carole' for her but he only popped on for 30 seconds doing a funny interpretation of 'Oh Carol'

You just gave a good account as to why my Wife and I hardly ever go to the theatre now.
Way overpriced most of it for what you get.
The most fabulous artist I ever saw was Jerry Lee Lewis on at The Derngate in Northampton.
He just got on stage on that piano and sounded exactly like he does on his hits, and entertained as well.
They don't make 'em like him anymore.
And that's for sure!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->

Huumph! I paid $120 (£60) but I was in the front row - any closer and I would have been in the band.

As you say, it was OK though I didn't think it was only mediocre - better than that but I have been to better shows.

Kinky Boots the month before was much better as were the two other biographical musicals I mentioned earlier.

Nothing like a fuzzy photo on your phone eh?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-10-04 12.41.26.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	4287   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-10-04 12.41.20.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	4288  

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top