Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 05:35 PM

Re: Implant Update

I think I already said that my wife is profoundly deaf in both ears, but wears an aid in one that can pick up just a little sound which together with her excellent lip-reading skill allows her some communication.
Every single morning, without fail, upon waking the very first thing she does is to clean her ears with medicated wipes before inserting the aid. This keeps her ears free from infection generally, but she ocassional lay falls prey to it.
Fungal skin infections can sometimes be attributable to Diabetes Steve, have you had a blood sugar test ?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Every single morning, without fail, upon waking the very first thing she does is to clean her ears with medicated wipes before inserting the aid. This keeps her ears free from infection generally, but she occasionally falls prey to it.
I've been told NOT to do that but clean the moulds with anti-viral wipes every time I take them out, which is what I'm doing now until further notice. stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 04:56 PM

Well I had my assessment for Cochlear Implant today at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.

Quite daunting for me as my hearing is so bad now and my wife has to "translate" for me!

I've had lots of tests and psychological questionnaire or specific questions to respond to plus a sleep test where I was wired-up with no aids in for 20 mins to assess the condition of my "hearing" nerves.

I failed that - but that's good they said?!

It means my residual hearing is as much use as a chocolate fire-guard - and that's Official now!

I had a test where I had to repeat what I heard coming from 4 speakers in a sound-proof room - with my aids in of course.

Failed miserably - but that's a "pass" too it seems.

Someone told me that my hearing is the worst they had come across for some time so I'm in the programme now, providing the CT Scan is OK and the surgeon's happy so I'm still on tenterhooks.

One worry I have is that the surgeon and his team will decide where the implant goes for optimum benefit - so it could be in my "good" ear rather than the right ear.

I do have a choice but I really have to listen to their advice and decide.

My right ear's been getting worse quicker and in fact was the first one I had an aid for back in the early 90s.

They know what they are doing of course and have to consider the best outcome for a procedure which costs in excess of £40,000 but to me it means that despite having a top-of-the-range Implant, I could still lose the hearing in my right ear and therefore the element of sound balance that helps me differentiate were what I hear is coming from.

They tell me it'll be fine though......stevmk2
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I've been told NOT to do that
Why have you not to do that Steve ?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

01-10-2015, 05:09 PM

Why have you not to do that Steve ?
That's what I have been told malcolm - why I don't know as they didn't specify the actual reason to me but to my wife as I had no aids in at the time. stevmk2
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

01-10-2015, 05:15 PM

That's what I have been told malcolm - why I don't know as they didn't specify the actual reason to me but to my wife as I had no aids in at the time. stevmk2
I would certainly like to know why you have not to clean your ears, particularly if you are succeptible to bacterial infections.
It may even impact on my wife's condition and affect her in some way !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

02-10-2015, 11:27 AM

I would certainly like to know why you have not to clean your ears, particularly if you are succeptible to bacterial infections.
It may even impact on my wife's condition and affect her in some way !
I've been to Audiology today for new Aids that'll work with the Cochlear Implant I was assessed for yesterday and I asked about cleaning my ears again and the Audiologist said dry tissues only and until I see ENT again I must ensure that I do not get my ear wet with anything at all - her words.

I showed here the wipes I'm using to clean the moulds and around my ears but not in them and she said only do that so I suggest you contact YOUR Audiology malcolm.

These new aids are terrific and been adjusted to match my hearing loss from the latest audiogram yesterday in Oxford.

The infection's all but gone but I have to see ENT before I stop the medication.

Very pleased with the improved performance of these aids though; I feel like I'm back in the world a bit more instead of being on the outside looking in. stevmk2
stevmk2
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

02-10-2015, 11:37 AM

I'm very glad that things have improved for you Steve, and you are back on track for your surgery, you must be relieved ..... and my education on ear cleaning has been amended.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 11:38 AM

I've been to Audiology today for new Aids that'll work with the Cochlear Implant I was assessed for yesterday and I asked about cleaning my ears again and the Audiologist said dry tissues only and until I see ENT again I must ensure that I do not get my ear wet with anything at all - her words.

I showed here the wipes I'm using to clean the moulds and around my ears but not in them and she said only do that so I suggest you contact YOUR Audiology malcolm.

These new aids are terrific and been adjusted to match my hearing loss from the latest audiogram yesterday in Oxford.

The infection's all but gone but I have to see ENT before I stop the medication.

Very pleased with the improved performance of these aids though; I feel like I'm back in the world a bit more instead of being on the outside looking in. stevmk2
stevmk2
That's good news, Steve! Hope everything else goes well for you.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

02-10-2015, 11:58 AM

I forgot to mention that my Audiologist today was very helpful and told me not to worry about the Cochlear procedure as the surgeons are the best and think ONLY of the patient, just as she does.
She said I have to place my trust in them and I feel a lot better for what she said. stevmk2

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top