Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 08:05 AM

Re: Jpeg Raw and Tiff

Raw = raw data. Large file size. Any photograph taken in RAW has to be post processed, as this is unprocessed data.

Tiff = Tagged Information File Format. Holds a lot of data, but less than RAW. Used for printing hard copies.

Jpeg = Joint Photographic Experts Group. Compressed data. Processes the raw data in camera but compresses the raw data, losing quality. Widely used for the Internet.

PNG = PortableNeGative. Used for both printing and computer. PNG's can be made transparent either in whole or in part. Ideal for making composite images.

BMP = BitMaP. A format created by Microsoft. Used mainly for screen dumps.

WMF = Windows MetaFile. A format created by Microsoft to supersede BMP and used for a common integration between the elements of the Microsoft Office Suite.

PSD = Photo Shop Document. Adobe Photoshop format. Used purely to store files that are work in progress. Retains the entire history of the work taken place to date.

GIF = Graphics Interchange Format. Used for animations.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
Raw = raw data. Large file size. Any photograph taken in RAW has to be post processed, as this is unprocessed data.

Tiff = Tagged Information File Format. Holds a lot of data, but less than RAW. Used for printing hard copies.

Jpeg = Joint Photographic Experts Group. Compressed data. Processes the raw data in camera but compresses the raw data, losing quality. Widely used for the Internet.

PNG = PortableNeGative. Used for both printing and computer. PNG's can be made transparent either in whole or in part. Ideal for making composite images.

BMP = BitMaP. A format created by Microsoft. Used mainly for screen dumps.

WMF = Windows MetaFile. A format created by Microsoft to supersede BMP and used for a common integration between the elements of the Microsoft Office Suite.

PSD = Photo Shop Document. Adobe Photoshop format. Used purely to store files that are work in progress. Retains the entire history of the work taken place to date.

GIF = Graphics Interchange Format. Used for animations.
Thanks. A helpful explanation.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 09:52 AM

WMF is the only one of those listed above that has vector elements to it. This making it more suitable for clipart and not photographic images. Used because it is infinitely scalable up or down without loss of definition.

WMF is an old 16-bit format. It was upgraded to EMF (Enhanced MetaFile) when 32-bit systems became the norm.

SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) is a standard vector format and I read Office 365 supports this now. There are other vector formats that various vector drawing programs use.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 10:02 AM

Then there is TCW (TurboCAD), which I use, and other CAD formats.

The big advantage over other picture formats (as far as I'm concerned) is that components can be produced to very precise measurements.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 10:44 AM

Yes, CAD programs use vector processes as I understand it? Not pixel-based as photographs are.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 10:50 AM

Sorry but if my explaination is too simplified to put over to non photographic members, which I was attempting to do, all this information recently posted will be lost completely to them.

With all due respect no one has tried to put it in terms even a child could relate to.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Sorry but if my explaination is too simplified to put over to non photographic members, which I was attempting to do, all this information recently posted will be lost completely to them.

With all due respect no one has tried to put it in terms even a child could relate to.
I think I get the gist of it,but of more importance I'm guessing not all cameras support either Raw or Tiff?
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
I think I get the gist of it,but of more importance I'm guessing not all cameras support either Raw or Tiff?
Correct
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mister_Oy ->
Correct
Thanks.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

With all due respect RS, Mr Oy and Bruce have given us a better understanding.
Your take on it, with due respect, is something that a child could not understand.
Camera science could be very complicated and should be shown / taught in simplistic terms. I am not a teacher of photography, neither do I admit to know all of the technical terms. I leave all of that stuff to people that are in the know and have the technical expertise to pass on their knowledge to us, the grateful ones.
Allow me to put my simplistic view on this.
Most professional and good amateur photographers, mainly shoot in RAW format.
Imagine a RAW photo as a good roast dinner with all of the trimmings. We then process our roast dinner through a photo editing suite, such as Lightroom or Photoshop. These are altered ( compressed ) to a JPEG. During this process, we will lose some meat and veg from our plate. The image is now set. However, the image may not be to your liking, so, you edit again, therefore, removing more meat and veg.
You might want to alter one more time, to get the colour, cropping, saturation etc that is to your liking to post on here. You then again, remove more meat and veg.
Every time that you edit a JPEG image, you remove more food from your plate ( image quality from your original RAW photo )
Therefore, everytime that you edit ( alter ) a JPEG image, you compress ( reduce ) the image quality.
I hope that this helps.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top