Join for free
Page 99 of 370 « First < 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 199 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 04:41 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Ah, well I took good humor with Realspeed's post and responded in kind. In the end, to each to his own.

All I know is that my case, "so far, so good."

Healthy lifestyle choices do increase longevity, statistically. There are always outliers, but there is something that especially rings true with me was what I heard from a geriatric geneticist a few months ago.

He said that their goal wasn't necessarily to increase longevity, but to greatly improve the quality of life - smack dab in the middle - of people's lives. He said lifestyle and preventative measures will give us have two, three, even four or more decades of feeling like we did in our thirties and forties.

Interesting...and true...don't you think?

Off to run, not to stave off those shrinking telemeres or grab another good decade or two... but just have some fun!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 08:16 PM

Forgive the typos...I never reread until it's too late.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

10-01-2018, 02:57 AM

Damp and dreary does the day. To spare the forum further alliteration, here is today's running report.

With temperatures soaring to a balmy 18.3 degrees C (measured fully-clothed), I decided to drive to the trails that are a system of partially-paved asphalt and sand paths that meander through forests of oaks and palmettos bedded in sandy, loamy soils.

This time of year, few people cycle or run these 45 miles,making the experience more tranquil yet busy with other forms of life. The recent freeze has removed the last of the hold-out leaves, so as I made the winding climb along the ridge of what was once an underwater berm, I could see several deer on the plain below, framed between dotted nests of osprey and squirrels in stands of bare trees to the south. Far beyond them lay the gulf, barely visible and monochromatic, against the dreary sky.

Making the slow ascent, my legs felt strong, I had to put a little more effort into my breathing to maintain pace, which I am working on for the next month or so. "Push!" I silently ordered myself. I love hill climbing, and while I am no sprinter, this is one area in which I seem to do fairly well. How I love a race with a bridge, hill or two!

One of the best things about running, is that you always have your most important competitor with you. Well, today's competitor was lazy and I was going to have none of it. Once I tested my tractions on the slippery slope of the downhill run, I let loose with my feet and expanded my stride leaving damp leaves flying in my wake. Between the oaks with their Spanish moss dripping from the dew like the fingers of a tired laundress I pushed on, clanking my way over two loosely-planked bridges, and around a long-familiar Magnolia tree that leans into the bend of the path.

While I could have run farther, my nagging schedule awaited, cutting short what could have been a half marathon; I felt that good. Soaked from the humidity and the dewy raindrops, I fell into a speedy recovery with a series of stretches, all the while thinking about my competitor whom I had left behind in the first half mile. With a good pace, a long distance, and up and down a few rigorous hills I had vanquished that negative, lazy runner once again.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 12:06 PM

With temperatures of 18.3 degrees C I doubt whether I would ever be 'Fully Clothed' Surfermom. Just when I thought running was becoming monotonous you provided us with an amazing insight into the world of a motivated and observant runner, and one that I can relate to with a passion. The route you describe sounds like a runners paradise and although my regular courses might contain one of the items you describe - Oaks, Loosely planked bridges or testing climbs - I would have to travel a fair distance before I encountered even some of the things, and with the temperature here hovering around freezing most of the time, I'll reserve that luxury for a more suitable time of year, but you've certainly made me think about being more adventurous on a local basis.

Yesterday's run was nothing to write home about, but after reading Surfermom's excellent report it has prompted me to add a few lines....
It seemed quite dark for the time of day (7:30am) I can usually make out the silhouette of the bungalow behind ours in a slowly lightening sky, but not this morning. Although it was not raining there was standing water everywhere, and the occasional puddle still contained a layer of ice, but with temperatures of around 4 degrees C throughout the night traction was not going to be a problem.

So it was with caution that I covered those early miles in the half light of dawn, out into the wildness of the countryside where startled Blackbirds clucked indignantly as they gave up their roost in search of a safer place. The sound of movement in the hedgerows, but I rarely identified the culprit, much too dark to see. As usual the rooks squarked at my passing and then carried on about their business in the large naked Chestnut trees around the church tower.

I approached the road junction that would decide six or eight miles and despite only turning out for a six this morning, I suddenly realised how good I felt and opted for the eight mile route instead. And so it was, a steady pace all round, no fast bits, and because I had chosen the eight mile route I had missed the swarm of children and 4 X 4's that congregate around the school gates making it an extremely difficult and dangerous place for a runner to be.

A far better run than Sunday's, and around a minute faster, but still too slow. Still plenty of work to do if I am to match last years times.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 05:10 PM

Surfermom, Bob. Good to see you're both as determined as ever with your running and general fitness activities. I'm sorry I haven't been in this so thus far, though I have been reading behind the scenes, usually on my night shifts. I do enjoy reading your stories and adventures when you get out and about.

I've been busy with various things at home and at work - it's manic this week there and I've been just enjoying some rest during the afternoons. My work is plenty exercise enough and in my chosen fitness excursions as an ex-bodybuilder it's sometimes more sensible to have a few days extra to let the muscles and joints fully restore themselves in order to perform better next time. My fitness is good, I feel alert and active, so I'm happy with things.

I must confess however that I have been spending quite a bit of my time compiling music lists and placing some of it on this forum at intervals and it's steadily gaining some interest. Music is my other main hobby and I'm happy doing this sort of thing.

On my knee situation and yesterday I had my x-ray at the hospital. I had to move around three or four times next to the plates so that they could do the scans and that was it. I find out at the end of next week hopefully. We'll take it from there. Otherwise, I haven't had any major problems with it; the left knee is much better to be honest which tells me that maybe I don't have the arthritis in that one. perhaps it's just compensating to balance out the weakness of my right one. I dunno.

Anyway, the rest of this week should see me back at the gym tomorrow and on Saturday. On Friday I will be in Scarborough as I'm at a funeral as my Auntie passed away last week.
I wonder if Bob is still running up and down Oliver's Mount??!

Later folks
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 05:21 PM

well Monday managed 6k walk including 500 feet uphill. Tues/Wed 6 k on bike 20 mins.None of it will remove the pain from my legs, so think im stuck with that, at least it doesnt stop me walking. It will soon be logging time again so need to get some strength back in legs
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
well Monday managed 6k walk including 500 feet uphill. Tues/Wed 6 k on bike 20 mins.None of it will remove the pain from my legs, so think im stuck with that, at least it doesnt stop me walking. It will soon be logging time again so need to get some strength back in legs
That's an achievement in itself, Noway, for someone who has pain in his legs. Well done
Remind me, is it arthritis you suffer from?
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
That's an achievement in itself, Noway, for someone who has pain in his legs. Well done
Remind me, is it arthritis you suffer from?
no its not , so far no one has any idea , I think it could be partly down to running for many years on roads, and also advancing years
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2018, 10:26 PM

no its not , so far no one has any idea , I think it could be partly down to running for many years on roads, and also advancing years
Are you on statins Norway?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-01-2018, 10:32 PM

Lol!! You don't appreciate compliments easily do you, Norway.
Sorry to hear of your plight pal but I was only being pleasant!

Page 99 of 370 « First < 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 199 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top