Join for free
Page 9 of 50 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 11:06 PM

Re: Brexit and the EU

Originally Posted by JBR ->
.You are a born pessimist.

I am an optimist.

Shouldn't that be "I am a fantasist" ?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
When has the EU done anything for free?
Hi

The EU has Free Trade Deals, as defined by the WTO, with over 40 Countries.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The EU has Free Trade Deals, as defined by the WTO, with over 40 Countries.
No problem then!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 08:09 AM

So which countries trade purely under WTO rules? Because I'm under the impression it's not such an impressive list.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So which countries trade purely under WTO rules? Because I'm under the impression it's not such an impressive list.
Hi

There is only one, Mauritania.

We would be joining a very exclusive club, the UK and a backward impoverished minnow, which still has slavery.

The World looks on in bemusement and amazement.

No other Country in the World, and certainly not any in the top Economies, has ever chosen to go down the path of No Deal and leave every single Trade Deal that they have.

The most successful Economies in the World have all got it wrong, that is basically what we are saying.

I very much doubt that they have.

Many Countries thrive outside the EU, and so could we.

They do not however just cut themselves off, they are pragmatic, not stupidly idealistic.

They accept EU Rules to trade with them, the biggest Trading Bloc in the World.

They do so and still make a profit out of it.

So could we.

The present situation is a nonsense.

No Deal goes against what every other major Trading Economy has decided is not in their best interests.

It simply does not make sense.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 09:44 AM

I didn't know much about WTI but hat's exactly what I found Swim. Only tiny countries that aren't world players go without trade deals. Only great optimists see the world economy in such a simple way.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

16-07-2018, 10:12 AM

Hi

Both China and India, the two biggest growing Economies, accept EU Rules to trade with them.

I am at a loss to understand why we choose not to.

Neither of them pay any money to the EU, they are not part of the Customs Union or the Single Market, they are under no obligation to accept Free Movement.

They do however agree to the ECJ having jurisdiction over any dispute about Trade.

A very pragmatic decision, which we have chosen not to accept.

Just who is the idiot here?

Us or them?

They make a profit out of it.

Any Country which Exports has to respect the rules of the Country they are exporting to.

Why should we be any different?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 10:42 AM

The difference is that we continue to pay for our 'membership' of the EU and, in being a member, are subject to all of their political rules and regulations. They effectively dictate to us how we must live and what we may and may not do. That is a great deal more than trade regulations.

I am not averse to trading with the EU after we have left, but their threats seem to revolve around our not being allowed to do so unless we agree to remain, at least partly, under the thumb.

Does the EU dictate to China and India how they should run their own countries?

This goes back to the original organisation, the EEC, which was then purely a free-trade organisation. I'd have no objection to our being a part of that. However, it has now grown into effectively a political dictatorship and, worse, its members are obliged to pay handsomely for the Commission to dictate what they must do.

Another difference is that China and India (and everyone else) are free to make their own trade agreements outside of the EU.

We are not.

If the EU would treat us like China and India (and others) I see no reason why we should not trade with the EU as an outsider, but do you really think they'd happily allow us to do that, when they know that other members of their 'club' might then decide to do the same.

No. They want to punish us!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 11:38 AM

Hearing news reports just now that resignations of Cabinet and other government posts are continuing.

MPs are beginning to realise that May is failing to deliver what the majority demanded. They are concerned that if they continue to support her in opposition to what their constituents voted for, they are likely to lose their seats in 2020 or even earlier.

The odd one out seems to be May herself, who is still doing all she can to thwart Bexit and seems oblivious to the likelihood that she will not only lose her own seat, but also her party's position in government.

The stupid woman is relying on her perception that no-one in their right mind would ever vote for Compo and the Loonies, yet according to the polls they are now ahead of her own party. Is she mad?

The best thing she can do to reverse this worrying trend is to do what she was mandated to do: to walk away from the EU right now.

If she won't, a vote of no confidence in her must be played and she should be replaced before it is too late.

The next couple of years will be very interesting indeed.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 11:46 AM

I put this message in another thread just started but perhaps it is more suitable here. (too many Brexit threads for sanity)

I was somewhat surprised to read the headline on the ABC News website this morning:

Theresa May warns there could be 'no Brexit at all',

British Prime Minister Theresa May has warned there may be "no Brexit at all" because of continued attempts to undermine her plan to leave the European Union.

"My message to the country this weekend is simple: we need to keep our eyes on the prize," Ms May wrote in the Mail on Sunday newspaper.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-1...at-all/9996052

This can't be possible surely?

Page 9 of 50 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top