Join for free
Page 110 of 370 « First < 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 160 210 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 03:52 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Hi

My board work.

Nothing fancy, just pieces of off cuts between two metal chairs.

After I had my leg damaged I could no longer run, still cannot.

It took years to bend my knee even 5 degrees

The nature of the injury is such that I have to avoid twisting the leg, I can walk for miles on even surfaces, like boardwalks, but on grass and sand etc, not very far.

I still go backpacking in the Jungles, love it.

When I go backpacking I have to wear a full length rigid leg brace and literally have to drag my left leg, using my right for moving.

I was determined to return to work in Enforcement, very few disabled Enforcement Officers about.

I was introduced to a remarkable man, truly inspirational, and disabled himself, ex military.

His philosophy was there is nothing you cannot overcome.

You just adapt.

If you run you just die tired, never turn your back.

He introduced me to a form of Self Defence, based on Shotokan Karate.

No fancy things at all, nothing like the films.

The one step technique, no need even to step, just slide a leg forward.

Let them come, move inside and hit them, just once.

It relies on solely on speed, technique and the element of surprise.

They expect you to back away from a swinging baseball bat or knife, instead to slide inside and hit them, just once, and down they go.

You learn speed and a straight hit, your entire body weight, and you are moving forward, is on one knuckle, your wrist, elbow and shoulder are locked.

End of story, you do not have to be big and strong, even a tiny body weight, moving at speed and fully focused on one knuckle will put a rib into their lung.

If you hit their throat, they go down and die, choking on their own blood.

Best to avoid their throat, just go for the chest.

I am still getting fit after my Hospital Infection.

Today I have been changing the water in my big tank.

I have been lifting 25 kilos of water in one hand, and carrying it 15 metres, ten out, ten in.

I am shattered, but I have done it.

A small victory for you fit ones, but a big one for me.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 04:57 PM

I’m loving this thread at the moment. All these new faces. Well, not new to the forum but new in here. It’s brilliant that you are all showing an interest in looking after yourselves. We try our hardest to keep ourselves fit as our health is the most important thing in life and it's great to see you all and hear about what you’re achieving; big or small, it’s the effort that counts – keep it going!

Swimfeeders – I was pretty well knocked out by that last post of yours and the techniques you can use there for basic but very useful self-defence. That’s some explanation and one I should maybe remember if I’m ever walking around in a dark and strange area. I have certain skills I could adapt myself as you have to be on your guard, but I do like your scenario. I just hope I never need to use it!
By the way, you’re doing very well with your own gradual fitness and getting back into a sort of routine. It will come mate, just persevere with it as you know you will.

Surfermom – BMI is probably a good thing for general folk who are overweight through eating and being basically unfit for whatever reason. You are spot on about it not working too well for athletes such as us (!) who may put on weight in a muscular way. If only the NHS (or your equivalent) could understand that. When they told me I was “borderline diabetes” a couple of years ago I looked at them in disdain. When they started prodding around my midriff and asked me how much ab work I do and then were using the calipers on my arms and thighs, they soon backed down when those crocodile clips could barely pinch the skin! Waste of time. If the belt still fits in the right notch, I’m happy!
Oh, and you must post some of your paintings on the forum – I’d love to see them!

OGF – Firstly, Bob, I do apologise for putting several years onto your age. I was certain that I had read somewhere you were in your early seventies. I apologise unreservedly, and looking at your photos there is no way it could be possible anyway. You’re still only a boy, buddy!
Take it easy with over-exerting yourself for a while though mate. What with the leg issue from the other day and now obtaining a virus. The body needs rest on these occurrences but I'm sure I don't need to advise you on that. Hope it passes soon matey.
Oh, and congrats to your daughter – a very nice wedding (and speech!) to look forward to in August.

And Ruthio – Great to hear you’ve joined a walking club. That will not only keep you fit and active, but you’ll meet some exciting new friends too. Hope you enjoyed the film today.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To my own routine, and I was beginning to feel like I was getting stuck in a rut with my training programme; same stuff, week in, week out. They say “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” but when it gets to the point where you become set in your ways then that can be potentially dangerous to the physical and mental state, so it’s best if the body and mind have a short, sharp shock sometimes.

Having said all that, all I will be changing for now will be to allow (or force?) myself to almost ditch all high strength exercises in favour of utilising high repetitions a lot more – in fact almost totally in my workouts for the foreseeable future anyway.
Why am I doing this? Because I need to get into the mindset that I’m not a spring chicken anymore and I need to listen to my body rather than beat it black and blue struggling for more strength. I have tried to adopt this method many times but I keep going back to going heavier and heavier and what is the goddamn point?! At 53, why do I need to get stronger anymore? Well, it's because I’ve been committed to bodybuilding/strength training for almost thirty years and it’s difficult to give in, simple as that.

...But I don’t see it as giving in. I see it as being realistic and sensible. I can train just as hard and effectively using light(er) weights and high reps. Muscle will not disappear overnight. In fact doing high reps to failure on several sets can actually define and build the muscles so that the bulk is actually stripped away and they become harder and more sinewy, together with very good definition and in the case of biceps, a better peak. Plus my abs may even begin to start showing through again – we can only hope! But that’s down to me and my diet I guess. It’s better to be fit, lithe and active than a lumbering, bulky wreck isn’t it?

So that was the plan from today with a trial blueprint session for the legs.
I’ll be doing three sets per exercise (perhaps more for other body parts) with a mid-range weight and doing as many reps as I possibly can in each set until I feel that ‘burn’, or ‘to failure’. Then after 1-2 minutes rest it's on to the next set and so on. Here’s how the first one went:

Thursday, 8 Feb 18

Incline press:
40x150
34x150
31x150

Ham curls, seated:
64x35
46x35
33x35

Horizontal ‘sled’ press:
23x150
25x150
19x150

Adductor:
27x60
22x60
12x60

Abductor:
28x60
24x60
20x60

That was enjoyable. I was surprised how many reps I could achieve to be honest, but if you set yourself targets, you get there. I worked myself to the limit and felt like I’d accomplished my goal. What’s more, it only takes about half an hour because you don’t need to keep changing and adding weights which is a bonus for me when I don’t have much time in the afternoons.

Thanks for reading
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 10:51 PM

Foxy - Sorry to hear you're not feeling too good at the mo, it'll pass petal, it's just bloomin' miserable till it does.

I learned something interesting from your thread when you mentioned about Piriformis.
I hadn't heard of this muscle, so looked it up, and it described exactly what has been happening to the right side of my bum for the last 3 or 4 weeks. Wakes me up at night too.
I was worried it might be my hip, but it came on quite suddenly so I doubt it. It feels like somebody is screwing up a muscle tighter and tigher in my right buttock, but I didn't know what it was called.

A Chiropractor told me to the do the exact same exercise I just found on google:
Lay flat, knees bent, rest right ankle over the opposite lower thigh just above the knee, then gently pull the right knee over towards the left shoulder. You can really feel the pull in the right buttock, so go easy.
Then do the same with the other leg.
Have you tried this?

I also use one of the dogs tennis balls and that is really good too.
Stand by a wall, put the tennis ball on the painful area and squash your bottom against the ball - gently - then just roll your bum round and round, pressing the ball into the painful area. I do this for a few minutes a couple of times a day.
It really does help.

I've had chiropractors do this to me with their elbow joint to get into deep muscles, but you can do it to yourself with a tennis ball.

Hope this helps you a little. Get well soon.

Oops, nearly forgot. I bought one of these PainGone pens too use too. So now I do the tennis ball and the pain pen before bed, and I'm find it really does make a difference.

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/bet...ain-relief-pen

Floydy

Been trying the exercise you said in the mornings, the one about standing with toes against the wall and stretching up - remember?

I came across a slight problem - I'm not quite the same shape as you.
If I put my toes against the wall, I squash me boobs - you wouldn't have that problem.
I have to put my toes a couple of inches away from the skirting, then I can stretch without squashing anything.
Is that OK do you think?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 11:06 PM

Having a drink in each hand does it for me Mups, my half litre snatch is still a joy to behold, I could have been a contender, but I peaked to early so I was dropped from the drinking team.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Having a drink in each hand does it for me Mups, my half litre snatch is still a joy to behold, I could have been a contender, but I peaked to early so I was dropped from the drinking team.
Exercising the arms with two pints is probably what arm wrestling pub teams do, so yeah that's keeping you fit I suppose. Just as long as it's Guinness in the glasses!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-02-2018, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Floydy

Been trying the exercise you said in the mornings, the one about standing with toes against the wall and stretching up - remember?

I came across a slight problem - I'm not quite the same shape as you.
If I put my toes against the wall, I squash me boobs - you wouldn't have that problem.
I have to put my toes a couple of inches away from the skirting, then I can stretch without squashing anything.
Is that OK do you think?
Haha! Mups, I didn't think of that. Ladies certainly do have a disadvantage (or an advantage?). Yes, I'd say a few inches away from the wall would work just as well....depends on certain things, mind
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Exercising the arms with two pints is probably what arm wrestling pub teams do, so yeah that's keeping you fit I suppose. Just as long as it's Guinness in the glasses!
A drink in each hand is a balanced diet in my book
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-02-2018, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
A drink in each hand is a balanced diet in my book
Maybe why my arms are the best part about me. Must have got a head start all those years ago!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 12:12 AM

Thanks Floydy.

Rehab! Behave yourself.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 02:44 AM

Someone break the bad news to Rehab that his liver is not a muscle.

Page 110 of 370 « First < 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 160 210 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top