Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 12:27 AM

Re: Ska/Bluebeat/Reggae and Northern Soul.

This is probably my favourite Northern Soul record:
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 04:17 AM

Culture

Lion Rock

https://youtu.be/5giyUKZBSJw
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I liked the majority of Eddie Grant's music.

I also liked the early UB40 stuff like Signing off but lost interest as time went on.
Yes I am of the same opinion LD no reggae group can go for nearly 30 years achieving the accolades that UB40 did selling over 70 million records and not be good.
When Ali Campbell left in 2008 that was it. Although his brother stepped in they were never gonna be the same again.
Over the years they have tried and make a comeback but to be quite honest I much prefer the early stuff.

Eddie Grant was pretty good when he was in The Equals and a few of his singles where decent but to be honest I find his voice an irritation after a while and very repetitive.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
This is probably my favourite Northern Soul record:
What a great voice.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Yes I am of the same opinion LD no reggae group can go for nearly 30 years achieving the accolades that UB40 did selling over 70 million records and not be good.
When Ali Campbell left in 2008 that was it. Although his brother stepped in they were never gonna be the same again.
Over the years they have tried and make a comeback but to be quite honest I much prefer the early stuff.

Eddie Grant was pretty good when he was in The Equals and a few of his singles where decent but to be honest I find his voice an irritation after a while and very repetitive.
UB40 were not bad for a covers act
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-06-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
What a great voice.
Dobie Gray was very underrated I think in soul circles tbh mate. I also love 'Drift Away', but that's more of a ballad
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 01:25 PM

May as well chuck this into the mix.

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 09:17 AM

If we are chucking things about, I'm chucking in the great Edwin Starr ..the Daddy of Northern Soul .

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
UB40 were not bad for a covers act
I saw them once at Wembley. I didn't plan to, I was with an engineer and he got me in to watch free for a while. I have to say they were probably the best band I have heard live, in that they sounded just like their recordings. Unless they were miming of course.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top