Join for free
Page 3 of 66 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 10:26 AM

Re: Not going too well for Brexit!!!

TM suffers yet another defeat in the HoL (her 7th in as many weeks). Not going too well is it???

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b02baed1bccc7b
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 10:38 AM

Hi

Nothing to gloat about.

It was a vote to leave.

We are not a Communist country, we have Democracy.

I know it annoys you, but so what.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
We are not a Communist country, we have Democracy.
From the Cambridge Dictionary:

Democracy: a country in which power is held by elected representatives

I could argue that we do not live in a democracy. One half of our parliament is not elected. The voting public has no control of who sits in the House of Lords.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
From the Cambridge Dictionary:

Democracy: a country in which power is held by elected representatives

I could argue that we do not live in a democracy. One half of our parliament is not elected. The voting public has no control of who sits in the House of Lords.
Hi

Then you do not understand the basics of how the system works.

The House of Lords is there to provide checks and balances against the party in power.

They can send things back, but are over ruled by Parliament.

They are our defence against lunatics like Corbyn and Abbott

Or that matter lunatics like Boris and Liam Fox.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Hi

The House of Lords is there to provide checks and balances against the party in power.

So why is TM and the rest of the scumbag 'nasty party' spitting blood and feathers over last night's vote in the HoL - hmmm???
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

01-05-2018, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
So why is TM and the rest of the scumbag 'nasty party' spitting blood and feathers over last night's vote in the HoL - hmmm???
Hi

A minor irritation.

Under your Communist Dream, we have only one Party to vote for.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 11:58 AM

Hi

A minor irritation.

Under your Communist Dream, we have only one Party to vote for.

Give over, you don't get to vote in communist countries.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 12:02 PM

Hi

So what is the point of having them then?

They 'send things back'; the Commons ignores them.

Rather like us and the media.

We complain about what the government does; the government ignores us. At least we have a vote, though, and if feelings are strong enough they are voted out at the next GE.

Even if they were of any practical use, they are not elected by the people of this country. Therefore, they are not a democratic part of government.

If we are to have a second house, it should be an elected body (and far fewer in number) that has the right to prevent the Commons passing laws that would damage the country. Fortunately, as they are non-elected, they can only bleat about things.

Contrary to your attempted put-down, I have a very good idea of how things work. You are not God-almighty's judge on what I know and what I don't know. You would be well advised to be less personally offensive in future and attempt to come across as knowing more than anyone else on this forum.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

01-05-2018, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
So what is the point of having them then?

They 'send things back'; the Commons ignores them.

Rather like us and the media.

We complain about what the government does; the government ignores us. At least we have a vote, though, and if feelings are strong enough they are voted out at the next GE.

Even if they were of any practical use, they are not elected by the people of this country. Therefore, they are not a democratic part of government.

If we are to have a second house, it should be an elected body (and far fewer in number) that has the right to prevent the Commons passing laws that would damage the country. Fortunately, as they are non-elected, they can only bleat about things.

Contrary to your attempted put-down, I have a very good idea of how things work. You are not God-almighty's judge on what I know and what I don't know. You would be well advised to be less personally offensive in future and attempt to come across as knowing more than anyone else on this forum.
Hi

Just pointing out the obvious.

An Elected Chamber could well result in Pro Corbyn Members.

Then we would be stuffed.

No, I don't know everything.

However I have a detailed understanding of some aspects of Brexit.

The EU will not back down.

They stand to lose 13 % of their Exports, we stand to lose 40% of ours.

Not Rocket Science.

When we leave we have Naff All in place.

Not a Single Trade Agreement in place.

In fact we have Complaints to the WHO..

We lose out big time.

No Japan, no South Korea.

What part of this do you not understand.

Liam Fox has alienated us because of his attitude.

The Brexiters have not delivered on a single one of their promises.

I despair, I really do.

It is not what I voted for.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-05-2018, 04:02 PM

Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant.
Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant.
Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers pension funds.
Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.
British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.
Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan.
Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.
M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan.
Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with with EU grants.
Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant.
Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant.
Indesit at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant.
Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.
Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.
ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs
Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.
JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.
UK airports are owned by a Spanish company.
Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company.
Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies.
The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.
Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.
39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU
The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK. The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn't paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK. Name me one major technology company still running in the UK, I used to contract out to many, then the work just dried up as they were sold off to companies from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc., and now we don't even teach electronic technology for technicians any more, due to EU regulations.

I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don't even go there.
I haven't mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany.

Find something that's gone the other way, I've looked and I just can't. If you think the EU is a good idea,
1/ You haven't read the party manifesto of The European Peoples' Party.
2/ You haven't had to deal with EU petty bureaucracy tearing your business down.
3/ You don't think it matters.

Page 3 of 66 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top