Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 10:24 AM

Do you have an ipad what do you use it for.

I wish to get a medical device and it requires either a smartphone or tablet in order to download an application to operate the device.

I don't have either and am happy with my little basic mobile phone so don't think I want a smartphone .
So it would have to be an ipad and only certain models are compatible so a reconditioned one (which also costs a lot less than a smartphone).

So my question is, what do you use your ipad for ...
Also what size is it, will 32gb be sufficient for my basic needs.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 10:53 AM

Re: Do you have an ipad what do you use it for.

If all you want to do is download an application for a medical device then I don't see why you need an iPad instead of a £80 or so basic smartphone.

Does it have to be Apple?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
If all you want to do is download an application for a medical device then I don't see why you need an iPad instead of a £70 basic smartphone.

Does it have to be Apple?
Hi Ffosse it can only be certain smartphones and I don't need any smart phone, I am happy with my large print Doro basic phone which I only use for texting and costs me just £7 a month .

I am interested in what people use an ipad for so I won't just be getting it to operate the device .
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 11:10 AM

I use my iPad for everything except emails. So Facebook, Over 50s Forum, EBay, Sudoku, booking holidays, we’ll just about everything that you can do on a laptop. The reason I don’t use my iPad for emails is that there doesn’t seem to be anywhere to file them and I like to hang on to some messages.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 11:40 AM

A tablet does the same job as your laptop and then some, so I use mine for just about everything that I can do on my PC and yes, 32gb is absolutely huge, although if you get a Samsung you can extend the memory even further with a micro sd card, something that you cannot do with an Apple.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 11:40 AM

I use my iPad for everything other then photo editing. You can photo edit extremely well on an iPad but mines a mini and I find a bigger screen is required

Mine is 32gb and its 4 or 5 years old and still has 12gb left on it

I have iCloud storage at 79p a month which stores all my photos so that keeps the space pretty free and allows me to see and edit and share photos and videos over all my devices. You can also share files the same way.

No problems with emails either, the ones I want saved I just move to a saved folder

I will be upgrading this iPad next year as it's coming to the end of its supported life. It's an iPad 2 and a lot of app developers no longer write apps for it

The reason I went for a mini was it fits in a handbag and so it's great to use as a kindle or for watching Iplayer or even playing games when stuck in places like hospital waiting rooms or sitting on a bus

Mine also has a SIM card slot for 4g capability which I use when travelling abroad for those times when you can't get free wifi

I also have the bigger iPad , older again, only 16gb and its still going strong, if a little slow

Best thing is, you can sit of the sofa with it. Doesn't take up any room, doesn't have cables running across the floor and you can leave it tidy on the coffee table when not in use

And it's great for using in bed when you can't sleep or are poorly

I wouldn't be without mine
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 12:01 PM

I bought my old mum (83) a cheap £60 Android based sim-free smart phone about two years ago and she wouldn't be without it now. She uses it to go online to check her various bills, play word games and uses the Google feature to find info as she can ask it via voice instead of typing.

Sister and me have recently bought her a Kindle Fire HD tablet too for the larger screen size but she still uses her phone in preference because "I've got used to it"

It would be a good idea Meg for you to find out what type of phone/tablet your medical device is compatible with before you choose.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 12:10 PM

I've had an iPad since they first came out, it is like a second computer to me. Everything I have on my Mac I also have on my iPad (thanks to my son!). My Mac is in the small bedroom upstairs so I use the iPad downstairs or take it with me on holiday.

I have my emails on it, order my prescriptions, I can come on here in the comfort of an armchair, plenty of Apps which I find useful. The camera is great on it, I no longer do texting as it has a very good iMessage app.

I have upgraded 3 times, nothing wrong with them but I pass them on to Mr Mags when I get a new one. I now have an iPad Air2, 9.7", 32GB ..... more than enough space for me.

I find the iPads straightforward to use, as I do the Mac. My grandson has a Samsung and I don't understand it at all!

Go for it Meg, it's also a good standby if you have a problem with your laptop at anytime. You would soon get the hang of it with your son being an expert teacher

I wouldn't say it could replace your computer but it can do many things your computer can. I sometimes find posting photos from my iPad to here a problem but what I do is just email my photos from my iPad to my computer and post them from there.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 12:45 PM

I use the pencil on my iPad a lot for notes. I have the 10.5" Pro.
I listen to music on it
I watch films (4 speakers)
I read books
I read comic books
I use Google Drive for files.
I have planetarium apps
I use it to look at famous artwork in HD
It has the camera of the iPhone 7 so occasionally I'll take photos with it.
I use it as a radio
I use it for podcasts
I use it for mapping
I browse online with it quite a bit as it is better than a phone screen-wise.
I read the news on it.
I email with it.
I buy stuff online.
I use it's calendar synced with my iPhone and a lot more besides. I probably still use my phone more but as I've been more confined it's easier to pick up the iPad.

Although they sell ones with lots of space these days, 32GB should do you fine.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

26-05-2018, 12:47 PM

Thanks everyone for your really helpful advice and suggestions very useful.

These are the compatible iPads
Air 2 (iOS 11.1)
iPad Air (iOS 11.1)
iPad Mini 3 (iOS 11.1)
iPad Mini 2 (iOS 11.1)

The mini has quite a small screen so if I am going to get my money's worth I would be better with something larger like the Air . I only want Wifi the mobile connection is not great here and I don't want another monthly charge for a sim card.

I guess being an Apple I don't have to worry about the models being older and unable to have security upgrades as happens with Windows.

It sounds like the 32GB will be enough for me .

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top