Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2018, 01:21 AM

Re: Don't Blame the EU

HI
i

There were always going to be contingent liabilities.

The UK has £billions in loans from the EU for a start.

They also owe us money, we have shares in the EU Bank which they need to pay us.

If there is any dispute about these sums, the dispute should have gone to International Arbitration as is the norm in these cases.

We have agreed a formulae to calculate them.

The rest of the money is quite simply the cost of the Transition Period, we asked for it, which means we continue to pay in.

The shorter the transition period the less we would have had to pay.

If we had got ourselves organised we would not have needed a Transition Period.

Our Government are still arguing amongst themselves and have yet to put detailed proposals forward.

This disorganised incompetence is what is costing us money.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2018, 03:35 AM

Can't sleep... too hot.

So with eyes just about locked , I need to ask about the Irish Border scenario. Not being too bright on the ins and outs of the Irish problem , maybe someone can clarify.

If trade between Republic of Ireland and UK mainland is so small, and the same between Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland why do they need a border control ?

Would it not be more simple and probably cheaper to ship from Republic of Ireland to UK mainland and then from mainland to Northern Ireland ? Same in reverse from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland.
Therefore , no trade would pass directly from North to South or South to North.

Just wondering ..

In fact, I can't see why the EU are insisting it's our problem. They are the ones without any ideas, and if we are leaving, then I suggest it's their future problem and not ours.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2018, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->

No comment
Interesting video.

I am certainly interested in seeing what happens when you do leave the EU.

Personally I have no strong feelings either way about Brexit because it doesn't affect me however even though I voted "No" in 1975 I was surprised that Britain voted to leave because I thought Britain had just been in the EU too long to jeopardise their future by leaving.

But I will watch with interest what does happen - my fear is that Britain will become one the poor men of Europe with a widening gap of social inequality. That will badly affect my nieces and nephews, their futures and their children's futures for decades to come.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2018, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Can't sleep... too hot.

So with eyes just about locked , I need to ask about the Irish Border scenario. Not being too bright on the ins and outs of the Irish problem , maybe someone can clarify.

If trade between Republic of Ireland and UK mainland is so small, and the same between Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland why do they need a border control ?

Would it not be more simple and probably cheaper to ship from Republic of Ireland to UK mainland and then from mainland to Northern Ireland ? Same in reverse from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland.

Just wondering ..

In fact, I can't see why the EU are insisting it's our problem. They are the ones without any ideas, and if we are leaving, then I suggest it's their future problem and not ours.
Hi

The figures quoted by Qwen Patterson are wrong.

This is more accurate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42223732

Owen Patterson is my MP, a rabid fox hunting supporter and advocate of badger culling.

He is a Brexiteer who is very wealthy.

The Irish Border is our problem in relation to the Good Friday Agreement.

May does not have sufficient votes to drive it through.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 12:01 PM

Any crossing of the border created by the Customs Union needs to be patrolled.

That is what a customs union is..the entry point for those outside it to enter with duties and tariffs paid and quality controls done.

You cannot have a Customs union with hole in it.

As for shipping, there are now two new routes from Cork in the South of Ireland to the EU mainland...Santander and Rotterdam. Ireland won't lose much trade. It does more trade thru the EU than into and out of the UK, so said the Irish representative on Marr last week.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Can't sleep... too hot.

Just wondering ..

Indeed. If the EU are making such a fuss about it, let them establish the border and police it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
Then let the EU patrol it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-06-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->

That is what a customs union is..the entry point for those outside it to enter with duties and tariffs paid and quality controls done.

You cannot have a Customs union with hole in it.

As for shipping, there are now two new routes from Cork in the South of Ireland to the EU mainland...Santander and Rotterdam. Ireland won't lose much trade. It does more trade thru the EU than into and out of the UK, so said the Irish representative on Marr last week.
Hi

Thank you for that.

First time you have accepted that it is an EU problem, not a UK problem and that any Border will be imposed by the EU.

As regards the Santander and Rotterdam routes they are vastly more expensive than driving across and take much longer.

The Santander one only sails twice a week and only takes 100 trailers., the Rotterdam one is even worse.

If Ireland wishes to commit economic suicide, fine by me.

Irish Mushroom farmers have already been hit

https://www.politico.eu/article/wher...ms-of-ireland/

Milk, cream, scallops, langoustine next, they simply cannot survive without a drive across.

Live and learn and get your facts right.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
An interesting and apt metaphor. You see Brexit as a chaotic, destructive and irrational force of nature. Totally agree that it's a load of devastating vomit and hot air. As perfectly demonstrated today with yet another chaotic political volcano leaving a rotten egg self-destructive stink.
A volcanic eruption leads to rebirth.

It sweeps away the old and ushers in the new.

Volcanic ash is extremely fertile and volcanic soils are amongst the most productive on the planet...
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 11:19 AM

There was an interesting TV programme, over the weekend, in which a panel of UK Politicos had the opportunity of questioning the man in the chair, i.e Verhofstadt.

It was all very easy until Rees Mogg got his turn.

His first question had Verhofstadt on the ropes - "If the UK walks away from the negotiations, will the EU build a Customs Check point in Ireland."

Much obfuscation followed as V was clearly unhappy to answer that question.

Just when V thought he was safe, RM asked another one which went roughly along the lines of "If the EU demands that existing agreements will not be compromised, why did the EU compromise them in negotiations with other Countries recently? - (examples in a hand sheet waved about by RM")

Verhofstadt was then in full retreat mode and heading for the exit!

Well done Rees Mogg!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top