Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 08:52 AM

Re: Sweeteners

I have used sweeteners in my hot drinks since I was about 25.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 09:00 AM

Google any food or drink and there will be good and bad reports, including the coffee you are trying to sweeten. I don't use any sweeteners but have sugar very occasionally. It doesn't take long to get used to no sugar.

The only sweetener I have heard of which is supposedly OK for us is Stevia. I tried it once but didn't like it tbh but again, you will find good and bad results .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 09:04 AM

Took me a while to get used to no sugar but I never use it in anything....Floydy I'm lactose intolerant so I never have milk you should try it for a while if you are intolerant too you will notice a big difference.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 10:00 AM

These days I don't take sugar in coffee or tea. I like porridge, but not with sugar. If it is made with Alpro sugar free almond milk it doesn't need it and it saves loads of calories. I don't like sweeteners either; they seem to leave a funny aftertaste to me. It's a bit odd really because I have quite a sweet tooth for chocolate and other sweets - that is my weakness. I try not to have them in the house or I would have them. I do love fruit, which has sugar, but I don't think it is as bad as adding it to foods or gobbling chocolate (hope not anyway).
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 10:25 AM

I still use a bit of sugar in coffee, I find it 'the less of two evils' than using artificial sweeteners some of which it seems can have a detrimental effect on the liver.

I don't have sugar on cereal and use Flahavan's organic jumbo oats to make porridge. They have a lovely natural flavour and really don't need anything on them except a little whole milk.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 10:34 AM

An NHS article here about Sweetneers/Aspartame/Xylitol etc, if anyone wants to read it for themselves:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-wel...eeteners-safe/
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 03:14 PM

I don't use sweetener or sugar. Years ago I used to take 2 sugars in my coffee and wanted to cut down with a view to eventually cutting it out altogether. I tricked my body by very gradually cutting the sugar down, for a while I had 1½ then 1, then ½ to a quarter to none. This was done over a period of time and now I can't stand sugar in my coffee. My tastebuds got used to not having any I guess. I prefer natural sugars from fruit on my cereal. I don't eat sweets and only eat puddings or chocolate very occasionally, I guess everything is ok once in a while.

Good luck with cutting out the sugar, it's a good move Floydy.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 03:23 PM

More good answers, thank you

My next trial is to cut out all sugar as soon as possible and cut down on milk (Aerolor's suggestion of Alpro almond milk sounds good). I had amug of black coffee just now with just a quarter teaspoon of sugar and I really enjoyed it. My sweeteners are long consigned to the bin and I won't be taking them again.

I have also bought a selection of herbal and fruit tea bags to take to work, so we'll see where we go from here.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 04:07 PM

FLoydy

With the cereals, have either weetabix or shredded wheat and then just grab with your fingertips a small amount of those sugar laden crunchy nut cornflakes. NOT a handful, just a small sprinkle. You'll find there's enough sugar in that small amount to satisfy your cravings. Then you can wean yourself off from there if you like.

As an alternative just buy bananas and add those to your shredded wheat/weetabix. You'll get sweetness and plenty of fibre and potassium. Other fruits also good of course but I prefer bananas because they're no faff and will last well whereas fruits like strawberries, blueberries can easily go off in the hot weather.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
FLoydy

With the cereals, have either weetabix or shredded wheat and then just grab with your fingertips a small amount of those sugar laden crunchy nut cornflakes. NOT a handful, just a small sprinkle. You'll find there's enough sugar in that small amount to satisfy your cravings. Then you can wean yourself off from there if you like.

As an alternative just buy bananas and add those to your shredded wheat/weetabix. You'll get sweetness and plenty of fibre and potassium. Other fruits also good of course but I prefer bananas because they're no faff and will last well whereas fruits like strawberries, blueberries can easily go off in the hot weather.
That's a great tip, Realist. I may even sprikle on some of the dried nut & Banana mix instead too. Much appreciated bud. Thanks

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top