Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 07:36 PM

Re: High Cost of Care Homes

As Azure said - how do they justify the cost?

I visited one some time back to quote for some works - it was meant to be one of the better ones.
The only people that were English was the manager & receptionist. All the others were immigrant workers who were probably on minimum wage.
The rooms were small & nothing special - facilities nothing special. So, how do they justify the charges???
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
As Azure said - how do they justify the cost?

I visited one some time back to quote for some works - it was meant to be one of the better ones.
The only people that were English was the manager & receptionist. All the others were immigrant workers who were probably on minimum wage.
The rooms were small & nothing special - facilities nothing special. So, how do they justify the charges???
Of course fender, It is for the Directors and shareholders
There's talk of capping the amount of the value of a home to £10.00.00 after which the government takes the rest to pay the fees. A step n the right direction..
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 08:06 PM

Even " cheap immigrants " are entitled to £7.83p an hour, holiday and sick pay and pension

If I was caring for someone in a care home, id want a lot more then that
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Even " cheap immigrants " are entitled to £7.83p an hour, holiday and sick pay and pension

If I was caring for someone in a care home, id want a lot more then that
I agree,

The point is though, on that basis how do they justify the extortionate costs?
As Azure said, it probably lines the pockets of the investors / directors etc.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 08:22 PM

I agree,

Many of whom will be scumbag 'nasty party' members !!!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

25-06-2018, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Many of whom will be scumbag 'nasty party' members !!!
And loony labour members.....
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 08:37 PM

I agree,

Im not going to say the the care homes aren't in it to make money

So lets say a care home with 40 residents

All needing round the clock care - three shifts of 8 hours with say 10 care workers on each shift

so thats 30 care workers wages a day, all above NMW plus unsociable hours etc

Then add the chefs and kitchen staff

Cleaners

Admin and clerical

Then a bus/ ambulance and driver

Accountant

And whatever else staff required

Then we have the building maintenance and insurance

We have the insurance of all staff and residents

We have gas, electric and water

We have food

We have entertainment

And probably a lot more added to that list that I cant think of

I cant imagine that running a care home is cheap
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

25-06-2018, 08:49 PM

Are you defending them Missy?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 09:12 PM

Both my Mum's ended up in Care Homes and they were paying £1,000 per week, but they got very good care and the Staff were really friendly and helpful, the meals were excellent as well.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 09:15 PM

We have had to sell Mums home that she and Dad worked so hard for. Mum cleaned peoples houses on her hands and knees so she wasnt a wealthy woman.

We are paying over £800 a week but this home is very good indeed. her last home (8 months) started well but once I had signed the contract it went downhill and they couldnt have cared less. The owner was so mean there were just 2 staff on for 20 residents, food was sparse and cheap and she wouldnt even fix the bathroom window so we could let fresh air in. She wanted me to pay £150 for a doorguard for Mums room!

Council run homes are better than most private because they are not looking to make massive profits, staff are better trained, the home is cleaner and their standards are higher.

It hurts me a great deal that Mums house has gone and the proceeds are rapidly disappearing as my Dad always told me that when they were both gone his children would get a third each and he was proud that he could do this as he never had anything given to him as he never knew who his father was and they were very poor.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top