Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 01:09 PM

My friend's dog

My friend's dog, a big heavy crossbreed - bigger than a Rottie, has just damaged a cruciate ligament.

The vet has just x-rayed it yesterday and said it will need surgery - approx £2,500 !!! The dog isn't insured.

I do not know an awful lot about this problem other than what I have researched. I have no personal experience of it.

I understand the recovery can be 3 - 4 months before they are back to normal, and very often physio and hydrotherapy are recommended to aid recovery and build muscle strength again.
It can also lead to over-use of the good leg, which can make that ligament go too.

Has anyone here any personal experience of this injury with their dog please?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 02:21 PM

Re: My friend's dog

I have no experience of it Mups, but I do remember talking to a lady at my vets who had a huge dog with the same problem.
The dog had the operation and then spent weeks going back to the vets for exercise on a water treadmill...... which is a treadmill that is under water where the dog can exercise without having to carry all of its weight. Apparently the water makes them much lighter on their legs so they feel less strain.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 04:24 PM

My bichon had a cruciate injury and after the op he was in terrible pain which lasted a few days, however, once the pain subsided he recovered very well. He came in limping one day on the other and the vet said it was the same injury on the other leg and he could have an operation on that one too.

He didn't seem in too much pain, just limped slightly so we decided to wait and see how he fairer. I.m glad we made that decision because after a few days our little furbaby was fine, he probably just had a slight sprain. The vet would have had us putting the poor thing through an unnecessary op, probably just to make money.

I.m so glad we didnt put him through it again, he was very miserable for a few days. Obviously had he been displaying real pain we would not have waited. He's bounding about like a young 'un now. Our dogs op was 200 quid, but he is only small. 2and half grand is extortionate, can she not get a second opinion and price? Poor doggy and poor owner xxx
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 04:44 PM

I'm glad your little one got better without a second op LQ.
I have read that very often the other leg goes too.

I thought the price seemed very high even though I know the anaesthetics are prices according to the animals weight.

I didn't go with her, so see the x-rays myself, but he showed my friend and explained thoroughly the damage done, even doing a drawing for her to help her understand better.

Maybe the dog has more extensive damage, I don't know. It was their orthopaedic vet who examined her, and he is the one who would be operating if she goes ahead.

Doesn't sound good, does it.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 04:47 PM

Poor thing hope it recovers soon. Wish I had the money to help your friend with the cost, it's a LOT of money
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 05:54 PM

My friend's Lab had cruciate problems. One of her back legs went, she had to have an op on it and while she was recovering from that op, the other one went.

She had extensive physio afterwards on both back legs. I don't want to put a dampner on anything but....my friend's dog was never the same afterwards, she always limped and was on permanent painkillers. She was about...10 or 11 when it happened so I suppose stiffness and lack of mobility was to be expected.

Luckily she was insured as the costs were astronomical.

One tip for your friend Mups. If the dog is struggling to walk on either an injured leg or one that's had an op, using a scarf round and under it's body could help them lift it's rear end a bit. Failing that, use a shopping bag that's been cut down each side, with the bag they would have handles to get hold of.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 06:15 PM

Sounds quite a dilemma for any owner Mups, here's some good information regarding the condition which might be worth a read...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-06-2018, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Sounds quite a dilemma for any owner Mups, here's some good information regarding the condition which might be worth a read...

Barry, thank you for that. It's an interesting read.
I have forwarded it to my friend. x

Nicol, thanks for your input too.
This dog is probably well over 6st. so would need more than a scarf to support her.
I have used towels under tummy's for support, I find them quite good as they are not stretchy and elasticy, so firm support.
I like the shopping bag idea, I must remember that - thank you.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top