Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Microsoft Office Online - Free

MS Office 2007 is no longer a supported product but I still have it installed on my laptop PC.

Since the laptop is 6 years old, I'm not prepared to pay for an Office upgrade (even a cheap one!).

Obviously, there are many free alternatives but I don't require an all-singing, all-dancing office software suite for a laptop which is, basically a backup device and, anyway, there's always Google Drive.

However, since I have MS Office 2016 (cheap) on my desktop PC, instant integration of a laptop replacement would be preferable.

I have noticed that there is a FREE MS Office Online available - naturally, the applications are "stripped-down" but that seems ideal for my purpose - to access, maybe edit, Word and Excel documents created on my desktop and saved to OneDrive.

Before I install the free version, I thought I'd ask "Has anyone tried MS Office Online?".
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 11:35 AM

Re: Microsoft Office Online - Free

Not tried it but I will look into on Monday when back at work.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 09:53 PM

Must read this for opinion

https://www.howtogeek.com/183299/a-f...e-worth-using/
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Must read this for opinion

https://www.howtogeek.com/183299/a-f...e-worth-using/
Interesting - I think I'll give it a try ..... thanks .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

01-07-2018, 01:01 PM

AFAIK, the apps can be accessed from any browser but there doesn't appear to be any way that they can be added as extensions - instead, they may be added as bookmarks/favourites.

On my 17" laptop, horizontal presentation is good but vertical presentation is truncated and cramped - the toolbar ribbon seems over-deep (it can be hidden, though).

In use, the apps seem to have no unacceptable difficulties or deficiences - saving to OneDrive is automatic, though, which may cause confusion or even problems.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 01:06 PM

I had the same problem Omah so bought a download off ebay for a fiver. Downloaded perfectly and everything works.... waytogo...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

01-07-2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I had the same problem Omah so bought a download off ebay for a fiver. Downloaded perfectly and everything works.... waytogo...
I assume that you mean MS Office 2016 .....

I have that on my desktop but it uses several GB of disc space which is not available on my laptop plus the package includes masses of apps and facilities which I do not require on my laptop - a stripped-down version is what I want .....

Incidentally, I have found MS Office 2016 Professional Plus apps slow to load, even on my desktop, presumably because they're so bloated - that would make them totally unusable on what is a "humble" laptop .....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 04:10 PM

I wouldn't know about that Omah, my machine seems to cope alright although I only use Excel and Word. Why I really wanted 2016 was for OneDrive online storage, so that I was able to work on the documents on my tablet as well where the latest office was built in anyway, and whichever machine I edit on the new document is available on either machine, just the job for what I wanted..
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

03-07-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
AFAIK, the apps can be accessed from any browser but there doesn't appear to be any way that they can be added as extensions - instead, they may be added as bookmarks/favourites.
Eventually I found an Office Online extension, from Microsoft, on the Google Chrome web store. No need for bookmarks and persistent requests to sign in.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
MS Office 2007 is no longer a supported product but I still have it installed on my laptop PC.
Me too.

Of course, there is no longer a useful 'help' facility, but I have found that practical help and advice is still widely available online from independent sources.

Personally, I have no wish to 'update' the software or purchase a more recent software package.

If, for any reason, Office 2007 should cease to work properly, I'll use my LibreOffice software.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top