Join for free
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 10:26 AM

Casual racism

Recently I was called a Jock by someone on these forums and found myself taking offence. To me it's like Rafael Nadal being called a Dago.

Does racism still exist in our country? Isn't it becoming rarer?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 10:33 AM

Re: Casual racism

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Recently I was called a Jock by someone on these forums and found myself taking offence. To me it's like Rafael Nadal being called a Dago.

Racism seems to be making a resurgence once more, which is terrible. Far right groups are attracting followers, the likes of that evil Tommy Robinson even have apologists for him on this forum.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 10:38 AM

I'm surprised that Tommy Robinson has any supporters on here, that's scary.

About a year ago I went to the Apple Store in Edinburgh and almost didn't make it in. There was a protest by the English Defence League with their Scottish equivalent and the counter protestors were in far greater number. There were a lot of Police around.

The thing is, almost all the EDL supporters were drunk - you'd struggle to find a sober one amongst them, and what were they doing in Edinburgh, anyway? Most of them seemed to be from the North East of England.

The Police made a path so it was safe to enter the Apple Store.

We still have sectarianism in Scotland and that's just like racism to me. It's concentrated in the West of Scotland.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 10:49 AM

It's the same as us English being called Poms by the Aussies. Doesn't bother me personally but I suppose if there are to be rules then they should apply to everyone not just those of a different skin colour or religion.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's the same as us English being called Poms by the Aussies. Doesn't bother me personally .
Yes, that's a good comparison. I don't think it would bother me.

A black man once called me white trash!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 10:54 AM

The word "Jock" for a Scottish man, is just slang, and rarely used in a derogatory fashion, so how can it be racist?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 10:57 AM

My friend Gill is English and I always call her "Sassenach" when we meet up, she takes no offence and none is meant. She calls me "Jock" often, it's just pet names we have used for years..
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

14-07-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
The word "Jock" for a Scottish man, is just slang, and rarely used in a derogatory fashion, so how can it be racist?
I've heard it used in a derogatory fashion and as a Scottish person I've got the right to be offended if anyone throws it my way.

Are dago or wop just slang, too? BTW I'd really prefer it if you didn't respond to my posts but realise I can't help it if you do. Perhaps a mod can arrange one of those mutual block thingies.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 11:13 AM

I've heard it used in a derogatory fashion and as a Scottish person I've got the right to be offended if anyone throws it my way.

Are dago or wop just slang, too?
No if you look it up you will find that they are considered derogatory.

If a person used the word "Jock" in a derogatory fashion, it us the person that is being racist, not the word!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 11:13 AM

I'd say it's not a lot different to:

Geordie.
Brummie.
Cockney.
Northerner.
Southerner.

None of those would be meant to be offensive in my opinion. It just describes what area a person comes from.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top