Join for free
Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 11:59 AM

Re: Casual racism

Originally Posted by mart ->
I'd say it's not a lot different to:

Geordie.
Brummie.
Cockney.
Northerner.
Southerner.

None of those would be meant to be offensive in my opinion. It just describes what area a person comes from.
Not to mention

Scouser or Mick. As a Yorkshireman I am known as a Tyke, am I insulted? Certainly not, I am proud of the term as are Cockney's, Scousers, Brummies etc proud of theirs and use the terms themselves to describe and identify who they are.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I've heard it used in a derogatory fashion and as a Scottish person I've got the right to be offended if anyone throws it my way.

Are dago or wop just slang, too? BTW I'd really prefer it if you didn't respond to my posts but realise I can't help it if you do. Perhaps a mod can arrange one of those mutual block thingies.
No need for that, I am only stating my opinion and if a mod feels that I say anything, which is out of order, they will tell me! If you don't want to read my opinions feel free to put me on ignore.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I'd argue it's about both.
Sean Connery a different ethnicity to Michael Caine?
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I'd say it's not a lot different to:

Geordie.
Brummie.
Cockney.
Northerner.
Southerner.

None of those would be meant to be offensive in my opinion. It just describes what area a person comes from.
Agree Mart.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 12:15 PM

There are a lot of collective names for various groups of people, but its not always the name but the context in which it is used that can be offensive.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
There are a lot of collective names for various groups of people, but its not always the name but the context in which it is used that can be offensive.
This.....^^
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 12:24 PM

Perhaps I'm too sensitive; anyway, I've put the poster concerned on ignore.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
The word "Jock" for a Scottish man, is just slang, and rarely used in a derogatory fashion, so how can it be racist?
That's what I was thinking .
Same as Taff for Welshmen and Paddy for Irishmen .
Isnt Paddy just short for Patrick ?

Just reading up about Jock apparently it's a Scottish form of Jack or John which was considered too English ?
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 12:30 PM

If I was a male Scot and was called Jock as a nickname it wouldn't bother me, I'm half Italian and was called an Eyetie once, and that just made me laugh. I'm also a Brummie, and that's OK with me too. Where's the offence?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 12:34 PM

My husband is half Italian no one calls him anything .

Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top