Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 03:39 PM

Re: Allergies

No not allergic to anything...made of strong stuff me.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 04:14 PM

Duck I have only eaten it once!
I ended up in hospital.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Duck I have only eaten it once!
I ended up in hospital.
Did you have to see the Quack? Sorry SP, couldn't resist it.

I have suffered from hay fever since I was about fourteen and
I'm particularly allergic to tree pollen. Having moved to the SW however, i haven't had it for three years.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Did you have to see the Quack? Sorry SP, couldn't resist it.

I have suffered from hay fever since I was about fourteen and
I'm particularly allergic to tree pollen. Having moved to the SW however, i haven't had it for three years.

It was funny Longlegs.

Glad your allergies have gone.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 06:06 PM

I can't wear wool next to my skin. I immediately come out in a red itchy rash.

Once I wore a lovely lambs wool jumper I'd had for my birthday and it took 12 days of hospital strength antihistamines for the rash to go.

I've also had short spells of allergic reactions to various things - elastic - the sun - cheap earrings...
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I would have said no not a single thing...until a couple of year's ago when I took the first pill of a course of antibiotics for a suspected skin infection. It was flucloxacillin.

After about 10 minutes I began to get a terrible itching inside my fingers, thought I'd touched something.
I didn't think of the pill at first because I'd never had a bad reaction before.
Then the itching began in my feet too, and my chest felt a bit tight.
Quite frightening. Called the surgery and the damned place was closed that day for staff training!!
Left a message and called 111.

Almost immediately put through to a nursing sister who quickly asked me some questions and said I must get some antihistamines pdq.
I had a packet of them in the cupboard left over from heavenknowswhen and I took one (there was only one!) and got my husband home quickly with some more.

The nurse called me back several times within the next hour to monitor my reaction and I had to keep going to a mirror to see if there was any swelling around my mouth and tongue... meanwhile she'd called the surgery on some emergency line and the doctor called me.

"But I'm not allergic to penicillin!" I cried!
"You are now" he said!
It can just happen out of the blue apparently!

A significant reaction, it's called and I was lucky not to have to go to hospital.Very scary indeed.
The whole episode lasted around five hours...

Am I allergic to anything?...nope.
Oh yes!! Almost forgot, penicillin!
ruthio, I am also allergic to Flucloxacillin!

I am also allergic to strong smelling aftershaves, perfume, soap powder, additives, chemicals, sulphites in wine and feathers.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:51 PM

The only thing that I seem allergic to are certain insect bites.
Fortunately I seem to be ok on Penicillin, so that puts things right again.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:04 PM

I am allergic to Asprin, I come out in rashes everywhere.
Its on my Medical Notes not to give me any.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:38 PM

How long have you got and where to start

My allergies/sensitivities started in the 70s. Foodwise, it is/has been a nightmare. Some still cause me problems, some I can occasionally get away with. Some that I could eat then are problematic now.

My diet is bland and boring because of it. I don't bother trying new foods, there's no point. The pleasure of eating went out the window a long time ago. But I do cheat now and again - I don't mind the consequences so long as it was enjoyable.

It's a pain and has affected my social life on occasions... makes me feel down now and then, but I snap out of it. It's not life threatening, just inconvenient.

Symptoms vary depending what I eat or come into contact with.
Rashes, itching skin, sinusitis, rhinitis, tight chest, endless (and I mean endless) bowel movements, swollen stomach, stomach pains, swollen eyes, migraine.
And an odd one, which I can't quite describe - I suppose I'd call it being 'spaced out and glazed' or 'vacant' (no comments ).

Wheat
Corn
Dairy
Garlic
Onions
Tomatoes
Hot spices - curry, chilli etc
Eggs
Mangoes
Kiwi
Grapes
Lemons
Mushrooms

Tea was a problem at one time. Not so much now but sometimes I have to be careful.
Coffee. I really keep my fingers crossed when I infrequently have a coffee in a different place to where I usually have one. I've been caught not even half way through a cup ... (well, I'll leave it there - just think Andrex is needed urgently )

Yeast (including my beloved Marmite )
Olive Oil
Sunflower Oil
White rice

Mould spores, rotting leaves in Autumn
Damp vegetation, especially in forests, woods etc
Some variety of conifers
A particular variety of weed (don't know the name but it's small with pink flowers)

Lidle's own washing powder (my friend uses it and I start itchy nose and sneezing wiping my hands on her towels)

Cats
Staffordshire Bull terriers
Some perfumes/scents/scented candles - stuff like that
Some cleaning fluids/fabric conditioners

Amoxycillin
GA - when I wake after operations I suffer horrendous headaches and any light is blinding to my eyes.

A couple of years ago I thought I'd try a different face cream. (No idea what it was now). Brought me out in an awful rash. Took a good few days for it to go and I wouldn't go out.

My mum had problems (shellfish and cheese).
My sister has problems (peppers, mushrooms).
My daughter has hay fever. Food sensitivities seem to be creeping in too, plus she can only wear silver jewellery or she breaks out into a rash.
Grandad on my dad's side had egg allergy.
And believe it or not, my beloved retriever had problems with one variety of dog food (can't remember which).

Whew - brandy please!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
How long have you got and where to start

My allergies/sensitivities started in the 70s. Foodwise, it is/has been a nightmare. Some still cause me problems, some I can occasionally get away with. Some that I could eat then are problematic now.

My diet is bland and boring because of it. I don't bother trying new foods, there's no point. The pleasure of eating went out the window a long time ago. But I do cheat now and again - I don't mind the consequences so long as it was enjoyable.

It's a pain and has affected my social life on occasions... makes me feel down now and then, but I snap out of it. It's not life threatening, just inconvenient.

Symptoms vary depending what I eat or come into contact with.
Rashes, itching skin, sinusitis, rhinitis, tight chest, endless (and I mean endless) bowel movements, swollen stomach, stomach pains, swollen eyes, migraine.
And an odd one, which I can't quite describe - I suppose I'd call it being 'spaced out and glazed' or 'vacant' (no comments ).

Wheat
Corn
Dairy
Garlic
Onions
Tomatoes
Hot spices - curry, chilli etc
Eggs
Mangoes
Kiwi
Grapes
Lemons
Mushrooms

Tea was a problem at one time. Not so much now but sometimes I have to be careful.
Coffee. I really keep my fingers crossed when I infrequently have a coffee in a different place to where I usually have one. I've been caught not even half way through a cup ... (well, I'll leave it there - just think Andrex is needed urgently )

Yeast (including my beloved Marmite )
Olive Oil
Sunflower Oil
White rice

Mould spores, rotting leaves in Autumn
Damp vegetation, especially in forests, woods etc
Some variety of conifers
A particular variety of weed (don't know the name but it's small with pink flowers)

Lidle's own washing powder (my friend uses it and I start itchy nose and sneezing wiping my hands on her towels)

Cats
Staffordshire Bull terriers
Some perfumes/scents/scented candles - stuff like that
Some cleaning fluids/fabric conditioners

Amoxycillin
GA - when I wake after operations I suffer horrendous headaches and any light is blinding to my eyes.

A couple of years ago I thought I'd try a different face cream. (No idea what it was now). Brought me out in an awful rash. Took a good few days for it to go and I wouldn't go out.

My mum had problems (shellfish and cheese).
My sister has problems (peppers, mushrooms).
My daughter has hay fever. Food sensitivities seem to be creeping in too, plus she can only wear silver jewellery or she breaks out into a rash.
Grandad on my dad's side had egg allergy.
And believe it or not, my beloved retriever had problems with one variety of dog food (can't remember which).

Whew - brandy please!
Bloomin 'eck Pesta!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top