Join for free
Dee
Hamilton, Canada
Dee is female  Dee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 09:07 AM

Reflections...Suddenly It's Winter

REFLECTIONS

You know, time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years.

It seems just yesterday that I was young, just married and embarking on my new life with my mate. And yet in a way, it seems like eons ago, and I wonder where all the years went.

I know that I lived them all...

And I have glimpses of how it was back then and of all my hopes and dreams... But, here it is ...the winter of my life and it catches me by surprise...

How did I get here so fast? Where did the years go and where did my babies go? And where did my youth go?

I remember well ...seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were years away from me and that winter was so far off that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like...

But, here it is ...wife retired and she's really getting gray ...she moves slower and I see an older woman now. She's in better shape than me .. but I see the great change ... Not the one I married who was young and vibrant ...but, like me, her age is beginning to show and we are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd be.

Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the day! And taking a nap is not a treat anymore .it's mandatory! 'Cause if I don't on my own free will .I just fall asleep where I sit!

And so, now I enter into this new season of my life, unprepared for all the aches and pains and the loss of strength and the ability to go and do things.

But, though the winter has come, and I'm not sure how long

it will last...this I know, that when it's over...it's over...

Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done ...things I should have done. But indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done. Its all in a lifetime...

So, if you're not in your winter yet .let me remind you:

it will be here faster than you think. Thus, whatever you would like to accomplish in your life, please do it quickly!

Life goes by so fast. So, do what you can today because you can never be sure whether this is your winter or not!

You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life ...therefore, do your best today and say all the things that you want your loved ones to remember...

"Life is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift

to those who came after. Make it a fantastic one."

LIVE IT WELL!!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 09:18 AM

Re: Reflections...Suddenly It's Winter

Looking backwards can be both a joyful and sorrowful experience, but life experiences give us the wisdom to take each event out of its box and examine it with more mature thoughts.

I cant change what has happened, i hope i can be better than i was in, what time i have left.

As long as i can find a a bit of humour in my life each day, i will still go on exploring the many avenues ive not walked down yet.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 11:03 AM

I can relate to so much of your Reflections Dee. When we are young, we look at older people and vow we will do things differently. We will never wear the ‘uniform’, we will carry on living life as we did, but somehow, little by little and mostly unnoticed, we become that older person we vowed we’d not turn into, but yes, we have to put as much into each day as energy will allow!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 11:29 AM

What a great post Dee. Thank you.

I'm sure all of us on here can relate to your post whether 50 or 100. I't funny, I was listening the radio yesterday and they were playing songs from 1957 (the year my Dad met my Mum). My Mum was being hassled by someone at a dance and my Dad offered to see her home. They are both approaching 80 now.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 11:33 AM

I am glad I am me.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dee ->
REFLECTIONS

You know, time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years.

It seems just yesterday that I was young, just married and embarking on my new life with my mate. And yet in a way, it seems like eons ago, and I wonder where all the years went.

I know that I lived them all...

And I have glimpses of how it was back then and of all my hopes and dreams... But, here it is ...the winter of my life and it catches me by surprise...

How did I get here so fast? Where did the years go and where did my babies go? And where did my youth go?

I remember well ...seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were years away from me and that winter was so far off that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like...

But, here it is ...wife retired and she's really getting gray ...she moves slower and I see an older woman now. She's in better shape than me .. but I see the great change ... Not the one I married who was young and vibrant ...but, like me, her age is beginning to show and we are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd be.

Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the day! And taking a nap is not a treat anymore .it's mandatory! 'Cause if I don't on my own free will .I just fall asleep where I sit!

And so, now I enter into this new season of my life, unprepared for all the aches and pains and the loss of strength and the ability to go and do things.

But, though the winter has come, and I'm not sure how long

it will last...this I know, that when it's over...it's over...

Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done ...things I should have done. But indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done. Its all in a lifetime...

So, if you're not in your winter yet .let me remind you:

it will be here faster than you think. Thus, whatever you would like to accomplish in your life, please do it quickly!

Life goes by so fast. So, do what you can today because you can never be sure whether this is your winter or not!

You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life ...therefore, do your best today and say all the things that you want your loved ones to remember...

"Life is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift

to those who came after. Make it a fantastic one."

LIVE IT WELL!!
I can relate to much of what you say even though I am just coming up to 52.

The weeks, months and years just fly by after a certain age. When I think of a particular year, say 1998, I have to think long and hard about what I was doing at that part of my life. It seems we forget large portions of our lives, only the milestones sticking out.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 12:43 PM

That's nice to read Dee . I look back and feel my journey has been a long one , yet the last 15 years have sped by . My eldest is 48 and second child 45 , how can that be , I look at them and think " how come your older than me " it's a strange feeling , yet they are still my children , did my mother think of me this way too, or am I lost in a time warp . I never thought I'd lose me , the bright smiley giving loving person I once was I thought she'd always be , but I think she left quite a while ago , I can't find her either , just the occasional flash and memory of the young girl flits through my mind . Yet the me now is more gentle with herself , a bit kinder and less critical , still up for fun and can still dance the night away with a couple of gin and tonics , but yes I've had my life , I don't mind leaving when it's time to go , I do have sadness and regrets , also many funny memories , wisdom is my friend now , it's a different world and at times it frightens me and worry me for my grandchildren children .

I wouldn't choose to return but my goodness it's been interesting
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 02:03 PM

She's still there inside Susan .
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
She's still there inside Susan .
Awww muddy that's kind thankyou

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top