Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 10:59 PM

Benefits Britain 1949

Watched this first time round but interested again. A large woman, walking with a stick and with various problems, (most of which I have) has just been means tested for work. She complained at everything she was asked to do. Type? I'm going to struggle with this. Cut out a shape? It's hurting my thumb. Lift a sack of potatoes from the floor beside you? Can't do that. Lift a potato from the desk? It's pulling at my shoulder.

I'm shouting at the telly ' 'stop milking it!!' And the result? She was deemed fit to do a bit of work and was asked to go to a place found for her. Her response...'I'm not f****** going. That's blackmail.'

So of course, because of the rules, her benefit was withdrawn.

Even with all my problems I tried to hold down full time jobs, AND commuted. And yes, I was (still am) in constant pain. I'm just glad now that a few pensions and full NI contributions mean I don't have to worry about being in the workplace now.

Some people just don't want to bother.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 11:09 PM

Re: Benefits Britain 1949

It seems all folks are different, I think we just need to stop shouting at folks who are different from the perceiver, or a group of perceivers.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 04:53 AM

Sorry Spitty, I can't agree with you there. Paedophiles, scroungers, murderers, etc are different, should we, as a society, not shout at them. Peer pressure is all important if a society is to run smoothly.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 07:18 AM

Trouble is while I agree with Jazzi I would guess we are similar types of people who battle through no matter what. But some people can't, it's not a physical thing it's a mental thing. And the society we have built isn't exactly what everyone wants to belong to. It's fantastic for the wealthy, the strong, the people who believe capitalism and buying stuff is great. I don't think everyone is wired that way. I know having ambition and wanting to succeed is supposed to be all encompassing my mind just doesn't work that way. Only reason I do work as much as I can is the alternative if you are part of this society is not nice either.

But believe me if I could get enough to live on without cleaning while in pain I would be out of that workplace in a flash.

I consider home life far more important than cleaning an office. But in our society that is almost sacrilege to think that way.

I have no answers but our society would not be what I chose if I had a choice, simpler, less stuff less rushing around working for other people would be my choice. And I am wiling to bet I am not the only one who thinks like that we just don't have a way out of this society so some fail and some struggle.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 07:51 AM

I also think a positive attitude to some kind of exercise is the key. Don't think for one minute that I'm out jogging or go to the gym, but I walk a lot (try to even after my surgery), and do gentle gardening at the allotment. As I could sieze up . I have rheumatoid and neuropathy.

When mum was alive, and lived in the bungalow, she often visited a neighbour who, though was in pain, would NOT leave her chair at all. Her daughters would visit to do everything for her. Mum even tried to explain that even though she herself was in chronic agony, she had to be mobile, but the neighbour wouldn't help herself. The woman was completely stiff and seized up. And in more pain because of it.

Mum didn't want to end up like her. And she didn't. She walked, or hobbled, through her pain. She would sometimes jig about in her home to her favourite music. We'd still go on holidays and she'd be happy to go out and about, though slowly.

Yes, I agree Julie. It is in the mind with many people. After all, you can't harm your body if out walking, or swimming. You might hurt...so just take painkillers. I live on them sometimes, to get through a walk.

If this woman on telly changed her mindset, and not have the thought, 'I can't do this, or that' and instead thought 'well let's have pain killers and see if I can walk just that bit further, or do a bit with my hands.'

My own hands are always stiff, sore, I constantly drop things. I ain't curling up in a chair giving up! I type every day, do my own housework, drive, shop, garden. Do my own DIY. When Mum and I did up my lounge a few years ago I rented storage space and my good friend helped take large items of furniture in his work van, and I took car loads of smaller stuff in the car. Mum then helped me paint. She commented one day that I was pushing myself too much and looked so ill, she was concerned. But it didn't kill me. And I was thrilled with the result and achievement.

However, I hasten to add that when I was travelling by public transport to work, day in day out, full time, I found that hard to cope with and it did make me very ill, so I resigned and found work locally, eventually going part time. I didn't give up though.

Eeeee, I dunno.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 08:07 AM

Yes Jazzi you sound very much like my husband and I painkillers keep us going and we still work and walk and live despite the pain. I am not sure what can be done about people who don't try, I am not sure we should be forcing them to do things.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 10:19 AM

Count yerself lucky you can still do all that Jazzi, I pushed meself too - big mistake !
Its not 'always' in the mind - I love to dance and giving that up is very upsetting for me, if it was 'just' mind over matter, I'd be dancin' - unfortunately its not, tried it - didn't work ......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

06-05-2014, 10:30 AM

Good point patsy, I know we have both done further harm to our bodies forcing our selves to work too. Will have to stop eventually I guess then we will be like the people who are so judged at the moment - not looking forward to that.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 10:49 AM

Exactly right, I know I've been there - you end up a lot worse off.
I have to assess every little thing such as hand sewing, if not - I get incredible ear pain (must be head [position) due to my problems - not pleasant as it affects the jaw and teeth, fine if it only lasted hours - it can go on for days !
Movement is tricky anyway, as I get dizzy, due to balance problems. As for the rest, its a case of taking things very measured too ......
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 05:16 PM

I hardly ever watch this kind of TV exposé because they are designed to provoke exactly the responses that have been mentioned.

There are many, many people just like the woman described by Jazzi.

They truly believe that they are too poorly or too disabled to work or make some effort as the rest of us do and, like all hypochondriacs they will always find reasons why they cannot be expected to do this or that, even if it seems incredulous to us ordinary folk.

The downside is that the resulting and typical Daily Mail-type of backlash hurts the very people who are the most vulnerable in our society and by that I mean those that are genuine for health, mobility or other reasons beyond their control to actually do tasks to earn their own money.

I consider myself reasonably fit but to a hypochondriac I'm suffering personified!

I am profoundly deaf, I have serious Asthma, I have pronounced Rheumatoid Arthritis, I have a serious hiatus problem, I get excruciating cramp and I get crippling muscle spasms yet I work part time for 28 hours per week.

Why? Because I have to!

I do not qualify for any Benefits and would not seek them unless I was reduced to crawling everywhere because I have my pride and self-respect.

These people have no pride or self-respect and therefore seriously believe it is their RIGHT and 90% of them have learned this fairy story from family members. stevmk2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top