Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 10:46 PM

Re: Slimming World--anyone tried it ?

Originally Posted by mariana ->
about joining a slimming club-I think an important aspect is support and encouragement, and because I live alone, I receive neither, and I feel that is important to me.
You are not alone, in fact, I think a great many ladies go to slimming clubs more for the social gathering and meeting friends than losing weight. However, from what I have seen, the end results are always the same. You follow a DIET for a period of time, but you just don't lose the weight overall. You get fed up of listening to the club owner's spiel each week and start just going in early for the weigh-ins.
Mother-In-Law has been to such clubs on and off as long as I've known her, maybe 20-30 yrs.

I find the whole thing just so sad and uncomfortably sly. Being a dieting system it will never succeed and these people are taking £5 or more from all participants each week plus of course they sell you the books which conveniently are updated periodically so there's always the newer version to buy. Green days, Red days, Sins etc etc. All a total con.

Looking from the outside all I see is a sad and lonely set of generally morbidly obese women all clinging to the hope that somehow together, in a group, they will somehow succeed where every other past diet they have tried has failed. But the sadness is it doesn't work and can't work because . . . well because it is just another "diet", a temporary change in eating which will at some point cease.

How I wish these club runners would instead just educate people, for free, doing presentations on how the body works, what foods are good, bad, the impact of sugars, how they are hidden and so on. All anyone needs is education and a suitably cynical view of food producers. Armed with enough information you can then make permanent and good food and drink choices.

If you are lonely and would like the company of friends I would favour other clubs like Bridge clubs, Women's Institute, Craft Clubs and so on.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 05:33 PM

If you are lonely and would like the company of friends I would favour other clubs like Bridge clubs, Women's Institute, Craft Clubs and so on.

Done all those--still do-plus u3a--Paddara--help at church shop-on church council---help at community storehouse...help at battery clinic--run 2 craft groups-belong to another 3---its just not enough for me....
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You are not alone, in fact, I think a great many ladies go to slimming clubs more for the social gathering and meeting friends than losing weight. However, from what I have seen, the end results are always the same. You follow a DIET for a period of time, but you just don't lose the weight overall. You get fed up of listening to the club owner's spiel each week and start just going in early for the weigh-ins.
Mother-In-Law has been to such clubs on and off as long as I've known her, maybe 20-30 yrs.

I find the whole thing just so sad and uncomfortably sly. Being a dieting system it will never succeed and these people are taking £5 or more from all participants each week plus of course they sell you the books which conveniently are updated periodically so there's always the newer version to buy. Green days, Red days, Sins etc etc. All a total con.

Looking from the outside all I see is a sad and lonely set of generally morbidly obese women all clinging to the hope that somehow together, in a group, they will somehow succeed where every other past diet they have tried has failed. But the sadness is it doesn't work and can't work because . . . well because it is just another "diet", a temporary change in eating which will at some point cease.

How I wish these club runners would instead just educate people, for free, doing presentations on how the body works, what foods are good, bad, the impact of sugars, how they are hidden and so on. All anyone needs is education and a suitably cynical view of food producers. Armed with enough information you can then make permanent and good food and drink choices.

Are you stuck in some kind of time warp? HAve you been to a SW group recently?

I have been going to SW since June and have lost 1st 2 lbs. I just go and weigh in, have a quick chat to a few people I know and then leave. I don't stay for the Image Therapy session as I'm pushed for time but some people do stay and seem to benefit from it.

You're making it sound like we are all socially deprived old women .... I don't go there because I'm lonely or bored nor do most people I know. I have lots of other interests outside of SW .... like walking group, knitting group, friends I go to theatre and cinema with, a couple of friends I go swimming with sometimes and so on.

We have loads of college students, young Mums and a wide range of ages. The weight losses are amazing and it's NOT a diet it's a healthy eating plan. I have never bought one single diet item since I've bee not attending. We just eat plenty of fruit, veg, lean meats, fish, rice, pasta etc.and the healthy recipes and advice on nutrition at SW really is superb as they have been going over 40 years now.

You might also be interested to know that many GP practices are now prescribing SW classes for overweight people so they must be impressed with the results.

I hope this has brought you a bit more up to date.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 12:28 PM

I joined Slimming World a few years ago because they seemed to promote a healthy eating regime rather a diet per se. Indeed I lost 2.5st in a short time - but - I could not stand the "happy clappy give the woman a gold star" aspect of the meetings. When I asked if I could just pop in, be weighed and ask for any advice needed each week, it was made quite clear that they did not want to know - so I left. Reached my target weight in my own way.

I appreciate it works for many - just not for me.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I joined Slimming World a few years ago because they seemed to promote a healthy eating regime rather a diet per se. Indeed I lost 2.5st in a short time - but - I could not stand the "happy clappy give the woman a gold star" aspect of the meetings. When I asked if I could just pop in, be weighed and ask for any advice needed each week, it was made quite clear that they did not want to know - so I left. Reached my target weight in my own way.

I appreciate it works for many - just not for me.
I think most groups whether it's Slimming, AA or any other support group use this method of praising or rewarding people. It can get tedious but you do have a choice whether to stay or leave. At our group I stay occasionally and whenever they have a taster night which is brilliant but most weeks I don't.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 11:49 PM

I like to stay if I can---I have noone at home for support, and it helps me a lot to have support from other members- plus there are always new ideas to try out-and there is a dedicated facebook page to our group--however, I have had to stop going for a few months--due to lack of funds--but doing my best to at least stay consistent till I go back about the middle of January.
And yes, I love the taster sessions too....
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK

15-11-2016, 08:05 PM

I like to stay if I can---I have noone at home for support, and it helps me a lot to have support from other members- plus there are always new ideas to try out-and there is a dedicated facebook page to our group--however, I have had to stop going for a few months--due to lack of funds--but doing my best to at least stay consistent till I go back about the middle of January.
And yes, I love the taster sessions too....

OMG Mariana ... you should see some of the food at our taster nights. The table is groaning!! I was so impressed because some of the loveliest foods was made by men. One even brought a gorgeous casserole in a slow cooker and switched it on again at group so we could all have it hot. I have a favourite mango salsa I make and took that one night and os many people asked for the recipe.

HOw much have you lost?
mariana
Kent. Uk.

15-11-2016, 11:51 PM

Well i lost a couple of stone before SW plus Another stone and a half with SW--id love to lose another stone and a half--sdo hoping in ther New year i will be able to get back to my group--meanwhile i am making sure that I do not go back, weighing more than when i left---so winning that battle at the moment.
We have never had anything as exotic as that at our taster sessions--last time i took curried pasta and vegetable salad. i think it depends what group you go to--we have 4 groups currently running and the 7.30 evening one is definately the most poular, so i guess would have more variety of tasty treats.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK

16-11-2016, 09:42 AM

Well i lost a couple of stone before SW plus Another stone and a half with SW--id love to lose another stone and a half--sdo hoping in ther New year i will be able to get back to my group--meanwhile i am making sure that I do not go back, weighing more than when i left---so winning that battle at the moment.
We have never had anything as exotic as that at our taster sessions--last time i took curried pasta and vegetable salad. i think it depends what group you go to--we have 4 groups currently running and the 7.30 evening one is definately the most poular, so i guess would have more variety of tasty treats.
Oh well done Mariana! My total Is just one stone two pounds but all my clothes feel better. That's taken since June as I lose weight really slowly now I'm older.

I really struggle to weigh in at my usual group some weeks because of family commitments so often I have to weigh in at other groups but I am determined not to put that weight on again so I always find somewhere!
mariana
Kent. Uk.

16-11-2016, 10:42 AM

thanks--I have to admit that I have noticed a huge difference in my clothes---some are way way to big for me now--others that wre tight feel comfortable---but the pounds are coming off slowly--and yes maybe it is an age thing---I try and walk as much as I can--well I have no choice really as I have no transport myself. if i had stayed at Slimming World i would probably have lost a few more pounds---but at that time I just could not commit to it--some weeks i could not afford to go--then end up paying double the next time---I have such a limited budget i just cannot do it---wish they had a group every other week--that would work for me-
but still hoping to get back in the New Year-

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top