Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 09:38 AM

Re: Cholesterol

Reading that you many of you take blood pressure and cholesterol medication makes me wonder if my doctor isn't taking my health seriously. Last time I had my cholesterol done it was 5.6 is that high I wonder? I know my blood pressure is ok when it's taken but should it be taken more regularly?

There doesn't seem to be a national guide line for these things and docs just seem to do their own thing. A bit hit and miss it seems to me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
After my first Heart Attack back in 2004 I took Statins, Aspirin, and Ramipril for six months and then stopped them all. I didn't suffer any side effects though.

Then when I had my second Heart Attack I agreed to take a 10mg statin. I took this until three months later when I had a stent fitted. The Doctor told me that 10mg was a waste of time and put me on 80mg. I had terrible problems with acid indigestion at night, it was keeping me awake every night, something I had never experienced before, so I stopped taking them and the problems cleared up.

I continue to take a 75mg dispersible aspirin and 2.5mg ramipril every morning Mups but no statins. Statins have also being linked to Diabetes.....

Foxy, I have just told you a fib!

It's not Simvastatin they gave me, it's one called Atorvastatin. 10 mg.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Foxy, what is Ramipril?
Morning Mups.....

Julie is correct, Ramipril lowers your blood pressure, but it does other things as well.
The lowest dose is 2.5mg and that's what they start you off with. After about a month they up the dose to 5mg and then 10mg ending up with a maximum dose of 15mg some months later, you take this for the rest of your natural.....

Beta Blockers are used to lower blood pressure and stop the Heart from beating too fast and putting a strain on it. After my first heart attack it was decided that beta blockers would not be right for me because I had low blood pressure and a slow heart rate.

They gave me Ramipril instead, and every month the doctor would increase the dose, I didn't like the idea of taking it for the rest of my life and after lots of research I stopped taking it. Ten years later and my second Heart Attack [2014] I was once again prescribed it. This time though I went to see the Doctor and asked him 'Why was I taking something to lower my blood pressure when it was already low?' He replied that it widened all the blood carrying capillaries and would provide protection in the event of another Attack, so I agreed to take it if the dose remained at 2.5mg...and he agreed.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Reading that you many of you take blood pressure and cholesterol medication makes me wonder if my doctor isn't taking my health seriously. Last time I had my cholesterol done it was 5.6 is that high I wonder? I know my blood pressure is ok when it's taken but should it be taken more regularly?

There doesn't seem to be a national guide line for these things and docs just seem to do their own thing. A bit hit and miss it seems to me.
If it aint' broke Summer.......
What many people don't realise is that we need cholesterol, I have known people with low cholesterol suffer heart attacks and strokes, I also know people with very high cholesterol who have lived to a very ripe old age with no problems. Your overall cholesterol reading is only a very small part of the story, and if your Doctor has looked at your results and decided you are not at risk, don't push it......

I would never suggest that anyone stops taking their medication, we are all different, and my decision to stop taking mine only came about from making it my life's work to do endless research concerning medication, cholesterol and Heart Attacks..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 10:40 AM

I'd say it may be they are just treating us as individuals because my husband and I have same blood pressure problem, same GP but are on different medication regimes. She has taken into account our different needs.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-03-2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Foxy, I have just told you a fib!

It's not Simvastatin they gave me, it's one called Atorvastatin. 10 mg.
How could you Mups.......I trusted you.......

Well alright then, no bother.....Atorvastatin is one of the 'New Breeds' of statins, I believe that in tests it came out better than some of the older versions concerning side effects.

A lot of my information comes from personal experiences because I don't often believe what I read in the Daily Mail, or anywhere else for that matter. I have a great deal of friends, relatives, neighbours, ex work colleagues, and fellow runners who are a similar age to me. I make a nuisance of myself going round and questioning them about their experiences. Some of them have had Heart Attacks, some haven't but have been taking medication, some have developed diabetes and some have passed away [So I sensitively and respectfully question their spouses discretely of course].

My next door neighbour is around 85 years old and was a Physical Training Instructor in the Army. He is a fine figure of a man, but he was telling me the other day, that despite suffering no heart problems he was put on statins as a matter of course. He developed serious hip pain and found it difficult to walk, he and his wife enter dancing competitions, but he was finding it more and more difficult to compete. A visit to his doctors was rewarded by taking him off the statins immediately. Unfortunately, some of the damage is not reversible and he has also suffered some muscle damage to his shoulders.

The husband of a good friend of Mrs Foxes was a self employed painter and decorator, after suffering a Heart Attack and having stents fitted he was put on statins and returned to work. After just a few months he was unable to climb his ladders and not even be able to walk to the end of his street. He has subsequently packed up his business and been taken off the statins.

I've been a runner all my adult life Mups, I live to run and run to live. When I can no longer run, I will walk every day. I believe mobility is everything in our advancing years and I will do my damndest to keep active. I have read too many stories like these to take the risk, this is the reason why I will not take statins.....Sorry for going on so long.....
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
If it aint' broke Summer.......
What many people don't realise is that we need cholesterol, I have known people with low cholesterol suffer heart attacks and strokes, I also know people with very high cholesterol who have lived to a very ripe old age with no problems. Your overall cholesterol reading is only a very small part of the story, and if your Doctor has looked at your results and decided you are not at risk, don't push it......

I would never suggest that anyone stops taking their medication, we are all different, and my decision to stop taking mine only came about from making it my life's work to do endless research concerning medication, cholesterol and Heart Attacks..
Thank you for that OGF, actually I have one of those home blood pressure monitor machines here I just dusted it off and did my blood pressure and hurray! It tells me I'm alive and normal.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire

22-03-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'd say it may be they are just treating us as individuals because my husband and I have same blood pressure problem, same GP but are on different medication regimes. She has taken into account our different needs.
Isn't it peculiar how as couples we seem to get the same problems, my husband had his Gallbladder out and a few months later I had a pain in my back and yes I had mine out too....of course his was much more serious much more painful and took much longer to get over....being a man and all
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-03-2017, 11:37 AM

Thank you for that OGF, actually I have one of those home blood pressure monitor machines here I just dusted it off and did my blood pressure and hurray! It tells me I'm alive and normal.
Us on the forum could have told you that Summer....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 11:46 AM

Isn't it peculiar how as couples we seem to get the same problems, my husband had his Gallbladder out and a few months later I had a pain in my back and yes I had mine out too....of course his was much more serious much more painful and took much longer to get over....being a man and all
Hi

Yes, that is about right Summer.

I wish I was a woman, everything is so much easier and less painful for the female of the species, as every man will confirm.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top