Join for free
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 02:35 PM

No Red Arrows At Farnborough

The traditional display by the Red Arrows has been scrapped for the Farnborough Air Show this year, they will be limited to a fly past only.
Seems a bit of a knee jerk reaction to me, and does this mean that no other aircraft will be allowed to do aerobatics? The article does not mention other display teams.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-36546206
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 03:29 PM

Re: No Red Arrows At Farnborough

I suspect other motivations such as cost may be involved, insurance may be exorbitant for public displays like this. Shame as folks love to see them.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2016, 10:43 AM

When I lived in Wales the Red Arrows often did their displays right above our house. Strange experience a fighter jet coming straight toward you whilst in the garden.

Magnificent site.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2016, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I suspect other motivations such as cost may be involved, insurance may be exorbitant for public displays like this. Shame as folks love to see them.
A lot of people have already paid for tickets and are clamouring for refunds because the Red Arrows were the main attraction.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2016, 11:16 AM

Im not sure how I feel about this obviously red arrows arrows are a great draw and very professional but I have never liked and thought it dangerous to do the low flying etc over populated areas. The planes arriving often fly over our flats and I admit it has scared me on occasions how low some aircraft get almost it feels about to hit our roofs.

So I can be too upset they are not going to do their display, but I know it will upset a lot of people so for that reason it seems sad.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
A lot of people have already paid for tickets and are clamouring for refunds because the Red Arrows were the main attraction.
+1

As a kid I used to go to Woodford Airshow.
I know there's a lot of other aircraft doing their stuff but an airshow doesn't seem complete without any of the big 4. Ie The Red Arrows, Spitfire, Lancaster or Vulcan.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2016, 01:43 PM

That IS a shame. Farnborough is such a huge show. It's fair enough if they cancel because of bad weather, but in advance and for no reason?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

17-06-2016, 01:51 PM

There was talk of scrapping the team completely, not long ago, I think this is the start of it.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/488...rows-axe-50th-
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2016, 02:01 PM

That would be a real shame.
Of course the costs are substantial but the cost to keep any pilot up to scratch and operationally fit for purpose is huge so it's not massively expensive to keep them flying.

Apart from replacing the aircraft.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top