Join for free
Page 258 of 1676 « First < 158 208 248 256 257 258 259 260 268 308 358 758 1258 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 01:43 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

well Jem you can keep is regaled with tales of metals, glass and stones any day we need a bit of excitement and mumbo jumbo around here!!
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 09:29 PM

It's something in the air,in that Ireland,so it is.
I've just been talking to a Banphrionsa from Dublin,regarding the purchase of a laptop. All was going well....until she informed me her PayPal account was no longer used,but no matter,I could transfer the amount to her bank.
[that's straight-and I assure you all,this next part IS true]
I,on being told this,informed her I have an extremely trustworthy friend named Jem,goldsmith to the masses and jeweller to the beknighted,residing in that very part of the world who'd happily collect the laptop on my behalf,at whatever time suited her. Suddenly,on being told that,she informed me it was no longer available as she'd JUST that moment sold it,then she buggered off-quelle suprise.

...now,I'd like to say that was unexpected ... but as soon as the 'no PayPal' alert started screeching,I knew it was a scam. SO-even though you were unaware of it,I deeply apologise for using your name as a tactical ploy,Mr Jem,sir.....[but it worked a treat-you must be world famous in Dublin!]
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 09:59 PM

That's because I've visited every pub in Dublin at some stage of me life Pug.
Sorry you had to meet a dishonest Dublin person, there are not many of them around thank God.

Not meaning to be political but in the news and something I thought I’d never live to see.

Didn’t she do well!

Just when we thought we’d lost her
Up pops the bold Arlene Foster
Taking centre stage, big and brash
Her coffers now bursting with English cash
When that’s all gone there’s one thing for sure
The hungry woman will be back for more
So when she comes calling you better take note
Pay up quick, or you won’t get her vote.

You don’t mess with this hard woman, talk about making a pact with the devil.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 09:46 PM

I like that expression “A gifted idiot” used in one of Spitty’s threads RJ, I didn’t want to reply there because this post has nothing to do with the subject of that thread.

I had the privilege of being called a gifted idiot by my master in my first few weeks at the bench, I was starting a seven year apprenticeship then and that was some compliment from him at the time, he wasn’t a likeable fellow, (he was either being very kind or extra receptive, I could never tell the difference he believed that lads with no education, straight from the street, so to speak, made the best apprentices, they had more discipline with their seniors and their empty heads were able to fill up quickly with what they were being told and shown to do, they absorbed more, like sponges. He later went on to be a top man at the Royal mint, he wrote a book called “I struck the heads of Royalty”
Most of my mates worked in factories on good money while I slaved along on fifteen bob a week for the first year, increasing by five bob a year after that, after three years you were doing the masters work but getting the boys wages, time to shop around and chase the money, which I did to maximum effect, I worked piece work all my employed life and found that if you are dependable, do a good job in quick time at a fair price then you’ll never be out of work, by the time I was 19 I was making great money and was able to wed my childhood sweetheart. “Ahhhh, how sweet” I hear you titter.
Still I had one up on the mates, while they were referred to as GO’s (general operatives) I was referred to as “The GI” the gifted idiot, and I have to say as I age more the gift is fading along with my eyesight, but the idiot part is still in rude health and enjoying being an idiot.
The idiot plays a vital role in the world, always has, clowns have made us laugh for thousands of years and just think if we had no idiots who would we vote for in general elections?
One of the great advantages of being an idiot is nobody bothers you, they never ask you to explain stuff to them, or seek advice, you don’t have to fill in boring forms in government departments, just say “I’m an idiot and I don’t understand what this form is about, can you fill it in for me please?” yes an old idiot can get away with murder these days, and the joy of it all is it costs you nothing to be an idiot.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 10:44 PM

Thank you, for that Idiotic Post, I will sleep well.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 05:12 AM

what the feck ; I didn't realize I was hangin around with a bunch of idiots - know if I want to carry on I'll have to go and give all me certi - serti - certifocates back again from where I got em - then I'll have to go to me pscho and get meself reclassified from highly intelligent to idiot level - god this is gonna be so tiresome and not easy as I know have a well honed reputation of world reknown of highly intell well that thingy I said before!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 07:05 AM

The trick is, to be an idiosyncratic idiot, know some long words, oh, and forget all you ever held dear.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

28-06-2017, 07:34 AM

All the news of late, it's enough to make a happy fellow feel a bit "Austere".
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 07:36 AM

Jem, whilst some of your gifts may be waning (I don't think so), your gift of writing has become a thing of wonder to my mind, long may you continue to write pure gold.

GBY.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 07:42 AM

idiot savant
ˌ
a person who has a mental disability or learning difficulties but is extremely gifted in a particular way, such as the performing of feats of memory or calculation.
a person who is extremely unworldly but displays natural wisdom and insight.

ex WIKI

Page 258 of 1676 « First < 158 208 248 256 257 258 259 260 268 308 358 758 1258 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top