Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2016, 04:50 PM

Gluten Free.

Is anyone on a Gluten Free diet. ? Been reading elsewhere that its become a fad diet and many on it dont need it.

I know nothing on the subject so any input will be of value.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2016, 04:54 PM

Re: Gluten Free.

My eldest has just been told she has coeliac and ibs. She's trying different gluten free stuff but finds even some of that upsets her.
I'll ask her to recommend the best she's tried so far.
Watch this space...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2016, 04:57 PM

My neighbour is Celiacs, if she eats gluten it has a nasty effect including painful mouth ulcers and diarrhoea/stomach cramps.

For others 'gluten free' is a fad and restricting gluten/ limiting food choices is a bit pointless when you don't have too.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2016, 05:25 PM

I have a friend with IBS, his diet is appalling lives off takeaways like kebabs, and no veg or fruit in his food groups.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2016, 05:54 PM

I have coeliac disease, Nom, and must follow a strict gluten free diet. A lot of the ready made food is high fat and high sugar = bad news.
Fad gf folk can pick and choose what they eat as it isn't necessary for their health and so claim it's a healthy diet..
Some coeliacs can't eat oats, either, even gf ones..
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2016, 06:36 PM

I am not sure if it is fad or not but I personally find eating anything containing gluten, aggravates my acid reflux; uncomfortable but nowhere near as deblitating as coeliac disease.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2016, 08:06 PM

Asda "Free From" was the best my daughter has found so far Nom.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I have coeliac disease, Nom, and must follow a strict gluten free diet. A lot of the ready made food is high fat and high sugar = bad news.
Fad gf folk can pick and choose what they eat as it isn't necessary for their health and so claim it's a healthy diet..
Some coeliacs can't eat oats, either, even gf ones..
The oats problem is usually because factories that produce them add or use wheat flour in the process. Pure oats shouldn't have any gluten though.

Not gluten free here but I do cook a log of gluten free meals and baking because Elsie dog is gluten intolerant.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2016, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The oats problem is usually because factories that produce them add or use wheat flour in the process. Pure oats shouldn't have any gluten though.

Not gluten free here but I do cook a log of gluten free meals and baking because Elsie dog is gluten intolerant.
The pure oats, or any oats for that matter, contain avenin which have a very similar effect to gluten on some coeliacs and so not suitable for everyone.
Marks and Spencer also have a very good gf section now and their gf bread is not bad, either.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

18-08-2016, 10:30 PM

Never thought about the pets aspect before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top