Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 04:41 AM

Im wondering.

My insides are feeling a bit clobbered, the cocktail of painkillers, and things im taking to counter the less productive effects of these has left me wondering if taking some of these probiotic products might help restore the gut bacteria.

So has anyone experience of these. Ive heard Sauerkraut is helpful but not sure where i could use it in my diet.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 06:39 AM

Re: Im wondering.

Nom if you have a lack of good bacteria in your gut, you are likely to have mild diarrhoea. Daily pro biotoic drinks , like Yakult, and removing yeast from you diet for a few weeks will help. Try soda bread, in place of ordinary bread, I always find that it is nicer warmed! Look up yeast free diets in the internet, because there are so many foods that contain yeast ( My sister always rebels when she has it as she is not allowed Twiglets ) Al;so read all labels in canned food to check there is no yeast.
I hope this helps, but if not speak to your doctor.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 08:03 AM

Nom, my two years of drastic tummy trouble turned out to be from taking those pump inhibitors thingys, which destroy your stomach bacteria, if you're taking those you won't stop the effects until you stop taking them, gradually.
If you are taking them, ask you doctor for something else.
If not, then try those probiotics.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 09:28 AM

Live yogurt I find helps Nom, just a small pot each day. I did try the little drinks they do but they are quite expensive and full of sugar, and I find live yogurt works just as well.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 10:14 AM

Thanks folks, will try your suggestions.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 01:13 PM

Strangely enough, my vet gives ProBiotics along with Antibiotics, yet our GP's don't bother.

I have just been on a course of antibiotics, and always take probiotics at the same time. The Live yoghurt idea is ok (or cottage cheese), but you would have to eat vast quantities of the stuff to get the same benefits as a concentrated capsule.

Personally, I buy from these people and find their products very good. They are more expensive the supermarket sources, but good.

http://supplements.highernature.co.u...h#w=probiotics
Lin
New Member!
Staffs UK
Lin is female 

19-09-2016, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Strangely enough, my vet gives ProBiotics along with Antibiotics, yet our GP's don't bother.

I have just been on a course of antibiotics, and always take probiotics at the same time. The Live yoghurt idea is ok (or cottage cheese), but you would have to eat vast quantities of the stuff to get the same benefits as a concentrated capsule.

Personally, I buy from these people and find their products very good. They are more expensive the supermarket sources, but good.

http://supplements.highernature.co.u...h#w=probiotics
Mups my gp told me not to take probiotics at the same time as antibiotics as they will just be wiped out by the antibotics. Wait until you have finished the course of antibiotics and then take probiotics.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 02:44 PM

That's odd Lin as mups says vets give them together to protect the gut.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lin ->
Mups my gp told me not to take probiotics at the same time as antibiotics as they will just be wiped out by the antibotics. Wait until you have finished the course of antibiotics and then take probiotics.

Hi Lin, If you have a read of the Higher Nature link I posted a couple of posts back, you will see if you open the 'Pro Intensive' product that it is quite safe, and when to take them exactly.

There is further information below from a different source, too.

.Can I take probiotics with antibiotics?
Yes you can take probiotics with antibiotics! But please read on to find out about timing.

When antibiotics enter the system they naturally destroy some of the body's good bacteria as well as the bad, and this disruption is thought to be the reason for side effects such as diarrhoea or thrush. Many people, when prescribed antibiotics, choose to supplement their natural bacteria with a probiotic.

Doctors used to advise waiting for your antibiotics course to finish before starting a course of probiotics. The theory here is that antibiotics (which by nature kill bacteria) destroy your probiotics as well, so taking them together could be futile. However at OptiBac Probiotics we advise taking a course of probiotics during your antibiotics course, as well as afterwards
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

19-09-2016, 04:20 PM

Interesting info folks, im not on antibiotics at the moment so i will try the drinks first (been out and bought some today. More research needed i feel.
]
Ta for responding.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top