Join for free
Asia
Inner Mongolia, China
Asia is male 

23-11-2016, 04:05 AM

Here’s a math puzzle I remember from way back at school

Once upon a time (that was original wasn’t it), there was an Arab who owned 19 camels. On his deathbed, he bequeathed the camels to his three sons. The eldest would receive half, the next a quarter and the youngest a fifth. Then he died.

The brothers couldn’t divide the 19 camels by a half, a quarter or a fifth, so they sent for the village wise man.

On arriving on his own camel, the wise man included his own camel in the share out, now making 20 camels. Following the deceased wishes:

To then eldest son he gave half - 10
To the second he gave a quarter - 5
To the youngest he gave a fifth – 4
Totalling 19

He then rode away on the twentieth camel, his own, problem solved
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 08:57 AM

Re: Here’s a math puzzle I remember from way back at school

Maths questions like that really give me the hump!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 10:02 AM

My brain hurts!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
My brain hurts!

You're lucky, I'm still looking for mine.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 12:27 PM

Yes I remember this puzzle.

Brainteasers are a passion of mine. I could put up 100s and in fact started a thread many months ago which has now died off.

The answer to this riddle is of course that the "wise" man hasn't solved the problem. The camels were supposed to have been split as a half, a quarter and a fifth and they haven't been. Eldest son has more than half and so on.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 12:34 PM

The other classic brainteaser that runs on a similar line to this is the restaurant.

3 men go to a restaurant and have a meal. The total cost of the meal is £30 which the men dutifully pay.

As they are leaving the restaurant manager realises that he has overcharged them and that in fact the meal should have cost only £25.

So he quickly grabs 5 x £1 coins from the till and tells a young waiter to run after the 3 men and refund the £5.

As the waiter runs after them he thinks "hmm how can I split £5 between 3 men"?"

So he craftily pockets £2 for himself and gives each man just £1 refund each.

So we started with £30 but since each of the 3 men have had £1 back, they have only paid £9 each which is £27.
The waiter has £2 in his pocket

So where is the missing £1 ?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

24-11-2016, 12:37 PM

and of course if we continue this thread we will inevitably reach the classic Monty Hall Problem which fascinates many people
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Asia ->
Once upon a time (that was original wasn’t it), there was an Arab who owned 19 camels. On his deathbed, he bequeathed the camels to his three sons. The eldest would receive half, the next a quarter and the youngest a fifth. Then he died.

The brothers couldn’t divide the 19 camels by a half, a quarter or a fifth, so they sent for the village wise man.

On arriving on his own camel, the wise man included his own camel in the share out, now making 20 camels. Following the deceased wishes:

To then eldest son he gave half - 10
To the second he gave a quarter - 5
To the youngest he gave a fifth – 4
Totalling 19

He then rode away on the twentieth camel, his own, problem solved
Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yes I remember this puzzle.

The answer to this riddle is of course that the "wise" man hasn't solved the problem. The camels were supposed to have been split as a half, a quarter and a fifth and they haven't been. Eldest son has more than half and so on.
Not really, the fact that 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/5 = 19/20 is the real trick to this.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top