Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 04:03 PM

Mini Victoria Sponge Cakes

Hi everyone, I had been humming and haahing about forking out for one of those Mini Victoria Sponges tray’s which seem to be all the rage. I had all the ingredients ready to make a large Victoria Sponge yesterday and started wondering whether Mini Victoria Sponge cakes would come out okay in a normal Muffin tin which is quite deep but tapers in a little at the bottom. I also know that the holes are not as deep and straight as a proper Victoria Sponge tray but thought I would have a go anyway. Happy to confirm that they came out faaaaaabulous, (well, according to him indoors anyway).
I make pretty good Victoria sponge cakes according to the family so please take my word that this is a great way of making small cakes instead of one large cake and no having to buy one of those proper Victoria Sponge trays unless you are a perfectionist!!

Oven Preheat = 180/350/Gas 4 Bake for between 20-25 minutes.

1 Muffin tray

FOR THE CAKE MIX - USING THE ALL IN ONE METHOD
2 x large eggs (weight them in their shells)
Self -Raising flour (same weight as the eggs in their shells)
Caster Sugar (same weight as the eggs in their shells)
Butter or Margarine (same weight as eggs in their shells)
(I prefer to use Stork rather than butter when doing the all in one mixing method)
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon of Baking Powder

FOR THE FILLING
Your favourite flavour of Jam
Medium carton Double or Whipping Cream
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Icing Sugar

Extra Icing Sugar to sieve over tops of cake when done.

First take a piece of kitchen roll, dip it into softened butter or Margarine and wipe all around inside the 12 cups (confess I found the amount above made 11 rather than 12) and they came out just the perfect height to cut in half comfortably.

Using S.R. Flour, put some into each hole, hold over the sink and shake the tray using all four corners to turn the tray around so all the holes have been nicely covered; Put aside for later.

Put the sieved S.R.Flour, Baking powder, Sugar, Eggs, Butter or Margarine, milk, and Vanilla Extract into a large whisking bowl and using a whisk on high speed, beat for exactly 2 minutes.

4. Using a normal kitchen dessert spoon, put a generously heaped spoonful into each cup. It should be about three-quarters full. Once this done, using the back of a teaspoon, very gently and carefully, smooth the top of the mixture in each cup (if you don’t you will get those little knobs on top when instead you want them looking nice and level)

5. Place in centre of preheated oven, directly onto the oven shelf (no oven tray) and bake for approx 20-25 minutes until they spring back when touched or skewer comes out clean.

6. Leave in the Muffin tin for about a minute before gently using a butter knife to go around the side of each cake to loosen and also assist with lifting out each cake.
Place the cakes top side down on a cake grill to cool completely (minimum 30 minutes)

7. Have a cup of tea or coffee.

8. When completely cooled, cut the cakes in half,

9. Pour the carton of double cream into a bowl, add a tablespoon of Icing Sugar and teaspoon of Vanilla Extract and whip until thick swirls and will not drip from a spoon.

10. Put the Jam into a small bowl and using a spoon or a fork, give it a good mix to soften it.

11. Spread the amount of jam you wish over the bottom half of each mini victoria sponge cake.

12. Now put a nice dollop of whipped/double cream on top of the jam and very gently flatten it a little before putting the cake lid back on.

13. Put some Icing Sugar into a sieve and sieve it all over the small cakes.

Enjoy! My lot certainly did! I think I will do them this way instead of one large cake in future. They must be nice because he who must obey even took two in a small Tupperware box for his lunch this morning.
Can’t see them lasting long!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 05:52 PM

Re: Mini Victoria Sponge Cakes

I find most of my cake recipes work perfectly well in muffin tin format .. I make mini chocolate cakes mini advocaat cakes and even mini fruit cakes..
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 06:49 PM

Hi Cass, I never really thought about using a Muffin tray for other types of cakes apart from Muffins and Cupcakes!!
Some of your descriptive cakes sound yummy and will give them a go. I wonder if it would work for my Cherry and Sultana Scones? It would be nice if they all came out uniformly for once! LOL
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 05:43 PM

Today I tried making banana bread but in the muffin tray . They came out lighter than in a loaf but just as yummy..
I just use any recipe and reduce the liquid very slightly then start with 15 minutes as a rought time and check every couple of minutes from then on.. The fruit and the chocolate guinness cakes take about 25 minutes at 180c the advocaat and the choclate less about 15-18 minutes also at about 170/180c

It helps OH with portion control

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top