Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 01:57 PM

Lemon and Blueberry Scones.

Hi everyone. Now let me first say that this recipe is not aimed at all of you accomplished bakers out there who are no doubt thinking, “why would anyone have to put so simple a recipe for Scones on here, even a child can make Scones!”

Well, NO! here's someone who is the first to admit is utterly useless at pastry/dough making. I am fine when it comes to cake making, but when it comes to pastry and dough’s - forget it!.
My excuse is that I always have warm hands and we all know warm hands make lousy pastry cooks! Ahem.
But, must admit, these came out fine so thought I would share the recipe for others like me who, when it usually comes to scones and the thought of wasting money on ingredients, usually buys them in a Sainsbury's packet!

Anyway, I never usually put a recipe on here that I haven’t tried myself and I made these this morning and they came out lovely! I found the recipe on a welsh programme and it sounded so nice I just had to have a go. So for all you not very good or rubbish at pastry and dough’s, have a go, you’ll be surprised at how delicious they are. I had one with my morning coffee at 11 oclock and I'm still here! so thought I would share the recipe with you.

LEMON AND BLUEBERRY SCONES

Preheat Oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7

8oz Self-Raising Flour
50g Butter
50g Caster Sugar
50g Blueberries (I used frozen Blueberries cos out of season)
Zest of 2 Lemons
1 Beaten Egg

GLAZE
A little milk and egg mixed together.

FILLING
Mascarpone and Lemon Curd

Put the S.R. Flour into a mixing bowl.
Add the Butter and rub with your fingertips until like breadcrumbs
Add the Caster sugar, Lemon Zest and Blueberries
Mix together with a butter knife.
Add a little beaten egg, mix, then the remainder of the beaten egg and mix with knife.
You want a mixture that is sticky but not too wet.
Shape it into a ball, it is sticky !!!

Now flour your working surface (and your hands) and lift the mixture out of the bowl with your hands and put onto work surface.

Shape it gently into a round slightly only flattened shape. Don’t flatten it much because I made small Scones so you want a thick cut out of the mixture.

Using a small pastry cutter, cut out each of your Scones and lay them onto an oven tray (using all the mixture I made 8 Scones but they had plenty of Blueberries in each)

Glaze the tops of each Scone with a mixture of milk and egg.
Pop into your preheated oven for about 10 minutes only. You don’t want much more than that because the oven is extremely hot.

When you look in shock at how nicely they have come out!!!!! Let them cool a little.

I didn’t bother cutting them in half to put a filling in. I just mixed some Mascarpone and Lemon Curd and slathered a huge dollop on the top. Was absolutely yum with my cup of coffee. (Thought it best to snaffle one whilst I could before he who must obey and my gorilla’s polish the rest off without a thought for me!!)
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 05:40 PM

Re: Lemon and Blueberry Scones.

Sounds delicous and I will be giving this a try..
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 09:29 AM

They sound wonderful !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 12:25 PM

Sound lovely !
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 01:12 PM

They sound delicious, I'll definitely have a go at them.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 01:17 PM

Yummy! can we have some
Cam
USA
Cam is female  Cam has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 05:36 PM

Sounds scrumptious, but I won't be giving them a try!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top