Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 03:59 PM

Savoury Minced Beef Dish.

Hi everyone, Just finished preparing the ingredients for this evening's dinner. This is one of he who must obey’s favourite meals, yet it is one of the cheapest and easiest dishes to make in the world! It has always been a firm favourite in this house because I used to cook it at least twice a week for the family when the gorillas were youngsters, It was so easy to do and so cheap. It also always had them gobbling down their vegetables that would have had to be force-fed to them if served as a side vegetable! Lol.

I appreciate that being such a popular dish, everyone must have their own version of making this simple, quick meal, but thought I would still share my version with anyone because you just never know, there might be one poster who has never bothered to make it. It really is tasty, filling and super served with rice as we do ourselves, or maybe just bread and butter or a crusty roll. Anyway, here below is recipe I use:

SAVOURY MINCED BEEF DISH.

1 Tablespoon of oil
1 onion chopped finely.
500g of Minced Beef
2 Tablespoons of Instant Gravy Powder
225g Tomato Puree
400g Desiree potatoes (I always use these because they never break up during cooking)
(peeled and diced) (as always, before dicing them, I bring small saucepan to boil and
(parboil the potato whole along with the diced Carrots for exactly 5
( minutes, no longer, than that, I then dice the potatoes into quarters
( when cooled. Never had hard veggies in the dish if par-boiling
( them first.
300g Carrots diced into small chunks
200g Button Mushrooms quartered.
150g frozen Garden Peas
8 fl.oz Cold Water.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan with a lid or use a large frying pan using foil as a lid if you don’t have a lid for it.
With the heat on medium-high, add the Mince and Onions to the oil. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the Mince, for 6 to 8 minutes.
Add the dry Gravy Powder, Tomato Puree and the Cold Water. Stir to combine.
Add the Potato and Carrot, stir to combine, put lid on and simmer (stirring occasionally) for 20 minutes or most importantly, until the Potatoes and Carrots are nice and tender.
After the 20 minutes are up, add the Peas and quartered Mushrooms to the Mince mixture. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the Peas/Mushrooms are heated through.

That’s it. Enjoy!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 05:27 PM

Re: Savoury Minced Beef Dish.

I usually add dry gravy powder to any beef mix: spag bol, meat loaf. Gives it flavour.

Sounds very nice.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top