Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 09:05 PM

Germany

Not wanting to mention a certain country which might attract unwanted attention, I started this thread.

We have been on holiday to Germany several times now. A Rhine cruise when we first got married (not our honeymoon), Bavaria a couple of times, passing through south Germany on a Danube cruise and, last year, the Black Forest.

I'd be interested to know if others have enjoyed holidays in Germany, as it isn't a particularly popular holiday destination for most Brits.

May I ask, where did you go, why did you go there and did you enjoy it?

Edit: Forgot to mention Cologne, where we have been a couple of times. Oh, and my wife sang with her choir in a few places in the Ruhr valley and Cologne. I went too, of course.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 09:09 PM

Re: Germany

Absolutely love Germany and the people.
Done many a mile through it.

Favourite places Hamburg....Dortmund(sentimental reasons)

Then there's the gorgeous Rudesheim on the Rhine.

A very beautiful country.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 09:29 PM

stationed in Dortmund in the 60s,worked in the mosel valley making wine,worked around Erfurt for a few yrs,love the place,lake constance is a great place
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 09:48 PM

Did a day trip out from a cruise into Germany to see the Berlin Gate-Checkpoint Charlie and of course the Berlin wall last year.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 10:39 PM

Cuxhaven for me. it was my town of birth so many visits down through the years.

Lovely place, twelve miles of beaches, Duhnen, Döse, und Sahlenburg.

The Kugelbake marks the geographical point where the Elbe starts and carries on down to Hamburg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kugelbake#Position

The start of the estuary has a very deep basin so sights like this are common when the tide is against.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...2_Cuxhaven.jpg

I saw the QM2 go past on its way to New York last September. She's a beauty ... I also the World's biggest container, it's Chinese and holds over 3,000 containers.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 11:18 PM

We've never been to the north of Germany. Perhaps that might be our next German outing. Could go on an historic organ tour of Hamburg, Luebeck and the surrounding areas, I suppose, although the wife might not be too happy.

Perhaps I'll arrange that for our 30th wedding anniversary in May!

Just remembered the name of the place where we stayed when the wife's choir went on tour - Luenen. That's about as far north as we've been.

I have to say, that the people in Luenen (a local church group) were very welcoming to us. I remember trying to speak in very poor broken German to one gentleman, and he did the same in very poor broken English. There was a lot of smiling and nodding, although I don't think either of us understood very much!
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 11:46 PM

I speak Pigeon German my Mother wouldn't teach me and I struggle with the language, who has three ways of saying 'the'?

Then there's Hoch Deutsche and Plack Deutsche, my mother spoke one and my grandmother spoke the other. The bits I have are the low German that I picked up from Gran but I can make myself understood, eventually. Lol.

I love the North and I liked Hamburg, too. I love the fish restaurants that are all over down there serving the days catch. I had a whole Plaice with sauteed shrimp over a couple of times. Almost yearning for it now, so help me. A fish called Rotbarsch is a specialty of the waters there too delicious.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 08:05 AM

Hi

Not a place I know at all, I simply drive across it as quickly as possible, normally at nighttime.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Not a place I know at all, I simply drive across it as quickly as possible, normally at nighttime.
A place worth enjoying at a snails pace.....

or a little faster if you visit the Nurburgring
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 10:09 AM

We have driven or flown to Germany a number of times. Always the same part though because we have a Son who lives there. This being in the general area of Hameln. Some very nice countryside around there. Hills that almost qualify as mountains ..or they seem that way when walking or cycling up them.

Many places along the river Wesser and the lower Saxony area are picturesque. We unfortunately won't be travelling much anymore but have some good memories of it.

Overlooking Bodenwerder and the swollen waters of the river Wesser. The muddy colour has been caused by heavy rainfall a couple of days earlier.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top