Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2017, 03:06 PM

Re: Job ,house or Baby

I took on a lad that had done a night class(had a massive garden wall to do)...his bricklaying was ok(ish)but he didn't even know how to mix mortar...nor the ratios.

They use a lime mix and that's all he'd ever done.

There again....there are those that can lay bricks and then there are bricklayers.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2017, 12:22 PM

Things certainly were different back then. My brothers seemed to be work orientated from the age of about 13. One of them used to make himself absent from school (Catholic) the same day every single week. He loved helping the same farmers who brought their livestock to the market and hired him as a herder. He was always paid cash in hand (they used to walk all livestock from their farms through the town back then).

My parents were at the end of their tether with trying to get him into school on that particular day of the week. They had visits from the Priest, the Mother Superior in charge of the school, even the Truant Officer!! Mum even marched him to the school gate on that particular day of the week to try and prevent him leaving, all to no avail, he would stay just long enough to have his name called for the register, make an excuse to go to the loo and away he would go. In the end, the Mother Superior completely gave up and said to him quietly "just make sure no-one else sees you leave". (imagine that happening today!!). Mind you, he put every penny he earned away and started his own business removing railway sleepers when he was 17, employed two of my other brothers, made enough money to be able to go to Catering College, went into Catering for himself and never looked back.

I do feel terribly sorry for the youngsters of today.though. They certainly don't have the opportunities we had by the virtue of hard work back then.
They have to have it in them to get up, get out there and make it happen, even though it is far harder nowadays.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 10:17 AM

It so true and it's been like that for a few years now as this article describes.

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/new...-how-it-feels/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top