Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 02:07 PM

Moss on roof

I know its hard without seeing the size of the roof, but can anyone hazard a rough guess at what you'd expect to pay for moss removal from a bungalow roof, and treatment to stop it coming back please?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 02:18 PM

Re: Moss on roof

Well there's a coincidence Mups, I've just finished clearing my gutters of moss from the roof! The problem is that the sanded face on the tiles gives a good grip to moss and there isn't an easy answer or, as far as I know, an effective preventative. We were actually considering having the bungalow retiled with a smooth faced slate, we regret now not reroofing when we refurbished the place 2 years ago...
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 02:25 PM

Copper wire run across the ridge, that helps prevent growth...or at least lessen it.

As for moss removal...piece of string?

Make sure they have experience of walking on roofs and inspect the condition of tiles before doing so.

AND if they are one of these companies that recommend painting...tell them to jog on.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 02:42 PM

I have moss on my roof like Barry says the sand face on the thick cement tiles give it a good resting place to build up.
I often have to sweep the backyard after a windy or wet period.
My next door neighbour has a lawn growing in his gutter because of the build up of moss .
He would not listen when I told him some years ago he needed a down pipe.
The company he had replace his guttering joined it up to the house on the otherside . So now anytime there is really bad rain his gutter bends in the middle. It will give eventually all for the sake of a couple of bob more for a downpipe. I have a downpipe and have no build up of moss and its been 10yrs since I changed from cast gutters to plastic. He only did his about 5 years ago.
Back to your problem is the build up damaging anything or when it dries does it come loose and blow away.
I say this because to change the tiles could well be a costly job.
If they are concrete tiles like Barrys and mine then the treatment still may not be successful.
The best idea would be to ask a local handyman to just give your roof a good brush and clear your gutters and downpipes.
It will probably end up the cheapest and less costliest.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Copper wire run across the ridge, that helps prevent growth...or at least lessen it.

Make sure they have experience of walking on roofs and inspect the condition of tiles before doing so.

AND if they are one of these companies that recommend painting...tell them to jog on.
Yes I have a friend opposite who bought this massive bungalow and next thing I knew there were these men on his roof with the spray gun removing all his moss and then they conned him into paying for a red paint job to stop the moss returning. It only took a few months before I pointed out to him that all the cement filling was coming loose and the moss was returning. Him being an ex milk farmer got suckered. Never saw the workmen again.
Probably local pickies we have hundreds of the buggers around here.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Handyman to give your roof a good brush and clear your gutters and downpipes.
It will probably end up the cheapest and less costliest.
NOT the dreaded Handyman...unless he's got extensive experience of roofs and walking on them....and PLI.

Concrete tiles can be very brittle.....the added cost of repair can soon become an expensive excercise.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Well there's a coincidence Mups, I've just finished clearing my gutters of moss from the roof! The problem is that the sanded face on the tiles gives a good grip to moss and there isn't an easy answer or, as far as I know, an effective preventative. We were actually considering having the bungalow retiled with a smooth faced slate, we regret now not reroofing when we refurbished the place 2 years ago...

Good grief Barry, is it really that long since you moved?
It doesn't seem 5 minutes since you said you were leaving your old place.

I can understand what you mean about the moss gripping the rough surface. I also get a lot of pigeons and doves on the roof and they are always knocking more down into the gutters.
I don't feel as safe as I used up ladders clearing the gutters any more, though I did a small portion a couple of weeks ago where it was worst, but I don't like doing it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-04-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->

TPIN, PAINTING? What do you mean? Do you mean with the stuff that is sup[posed to prevent regrowth? If so, what's wrong with it? Will it hurt my dogs if they drip it about?
Now I am panicking!!!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

17-04-2017, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
TPIN, PAINTING? What do you mean? Do you mean with the stuff that is sup[posed to prevent regrowth? If so, what's wrong with it? Will it hurt my dogs if they drip it about?
Now I am panicking!!!
Some companies wash the roof and coat it with tile paint to make the roof look newer.

Like this

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 03:03 PM

Yes Mups, time certainly flies... Probably the easiest thing you could do would be to get someone just to clear your gutters every spring, the local window cleaners provide that service to some of the folks around here, but as Tpin says, whatever you do beware of people being on your roof unless they are professional and well insured, they can soon open up a whole can of worms if not...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top