Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 10:11 AM

Re: Induction Hobs Versus Gas Hobs

My wife says she's not convinced. She tells me that gas provides a much more powerful heat.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
My wife says she's not convinced. She tells me that gas provides a much more powerful heat.
Wives always know best JBR, whatever evidence there is to the contrary...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 10:47 AM

It's tother way round here JB, wife wants to get rid of the gas hob in favour of the new fangled Induction one. My argument is, do we want a show kitchen that would look nice and make the Jones's impressed, or do we want a practical one that does what a kitchen is for.....preparing meals, and being as I do all the cooking through the week - because she doesn't eat enough to keep a sparrow alive - it would probably affect me the most.

Thanks Boot, that's very interesting. I suppose I should have realised that if it plugs into a thirteen amp socket that sacrifices will have to made. I can't see a problem with just one segment producing full power while the others would just be simmering through the year, but I wonder if it would cope with cooking a Christmas dinner for all the family. Thanks again for your input.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 10:52 AM

I'm not expert OGF, but I would assume if an appliance is made to operate through a 13a plug then it has surely been manufactured with safety margins to operate at full power with that ampage?

I will stand correcting if wrong of course, but it would seem ridiculous if so...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Wives always know best JBR, whatever evidence there is to the contrary...
True. The kitchen is my wife's domain, after all.

The only cooking I do is with the microwave, and they don't do gas microwaves!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 01:23 PM

Hi

My ex was determined to get a gas hob when we moved here.

Even instructed the builders to take out the ceramic hob and replace it with a gas hob.

Only one problem, there is no gas in the village.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 09:45 AM

You need to watch out for the quality of the sealant used when the Hob is fitted.

A pan, at the rear, boiled over and the escaping water penetrated the seal and found a way to blow the internal hob power circuits. This happened twice.

As the hob was only weeks into it's warranty I expected Whirlpool to sort it out quickly.

In the event, they said that I needed to buy a maintenance plan before they could deal with it.

Several weeks went by, during which trading standards, etc were brought in (by me).

In the end they agreed that I really did have a warranty and the hob was replaced.

If it goes again, it will be more cost effective just to replace it with a better hub (from a different supplier).

The moral of this sad tale:-

1) Make sure your warranty is right for this kind of incident.

2) Have a good look at the under hob seal, after installation. If the supplier starts pushing a service contract remind him that the warranty does not expire for a year!

P.S. I bought a set of induction pans for about 50 pounds.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 10:51 AM

Thanks Ted, that's brilliant, just the sort of advice I'm looking for.
The search for a new kitchen goes on and I'm looking at the technical side, Mrs Fox just wants it to look nice.......Women eh.......
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 11:08 AM

Do what we did and have half and half...This is quite a popular option and you then have the option to use both kinds of pans, and when there's a power cut you can still make a cuppa!!!

Copied from another thread where I posted...
"Just to add that with an induction hob you may find as we did, that a lot of your pans are ok.
All you have to do is the magnet test...see if a magnet sticks to the bottom of the pan, if it does then it's fine to use with the induction hob.
My favourite casserole pot is 30 years old and it's ok!"
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2017, 11:01 PM

A gas hob is the only way to cook in my humble opinion. You can see the flame and adjust as required.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top