Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 12:26 PM

What are forums for?

Attempts have been made to put me in my place lately with regard to the type of 'stuff' I post. As if all my posts are nothing but a 'cry for help' or to 'show off' - any number of negative reason it seems. Now let me all put you all straight. If you hold back on such places as this you are not using the forum to the best of your abilities. You are doing both yourself and other forums users a disservice.

A forum should be viewed as a place where you can let off steam - a place where you can get it all off your chest. Who the hell cares what others think of you? Who the hell are they come to that? Do they really exist?

The greatest tool in anyone's arsenal to keep emotions on an even keel is to shout off - to express oneself. It can be cathartic - hell it is cathartic full stop.

Don't be brow beaten by anyone. Speak your mind. Don't dare hold back as you will just swallow it which will turn rancorous in time eventually eating away at you.

I don't mean that you should be angry and rude - no far from it. But I do mean you shouldn't worry about making a fool of yourself because a forum is for the faceless. Do YOU exist come to that? You can be anyone you care to be.

It is a game - treat it as such to gain the greatest reward - exorcism. It can free you of your demons if you treat it right.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 12:35 PM

Re: What are forums for?

You say forums are a form of Therapy ?
And that the posters don't exist in the real world ?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Who said that?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Yes. Does it matter if they exist or not? You can be banned from a forum so your contacts might as well never have existed in the first place. You can choose to make them far more than just a forum acquaintance but that is incidental. A forum is a public speaking platform and as such it is meant to be your online sound box where you can speak your mind.

Your very reply above conveys meaning to others. It is laced with concern - intrigue - I can even see a tinge of annoyance there. These are emotions that will stay hidden, likely to fester unless you speak out. YOU are using it as intended as do I .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Attempts have been made to put me in my place lately with regard to the type of 'stuff' I post. As if all my posts are nothing but a 'cry for help' or to 'show off' - any number of negative reason it seems. Now let me all put you all straight. If you hold back on such places as this you are not using the forum to the best of your abilities. You are doing both yourself and other forums users a disservice.
You lot are like children
Forums like this one are there for people of all kinds to chat to each other nothing more nothing less, preferably politely .
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

24-04-2017, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
You lot are like children
Forums like this one are there for people of all kinds to chat to each other nothing more nothing less, preferably politely .
And to have fun - and I do .

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 12:53 PM

You see it as putting you in your place but all that's happened is people have disagreed with your views on things. No one is controlling or putting you in your place at all.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

24-04-2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You see it as putting you in your place but all that's happened is people have disagreed with your views on things. No one is controlling or putting you in your place at all.
As if they could .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 01:00 PM

OK. Mark, I don't entirely agree with you.

First - you say a forum should be viewed as a place to 'let off steam.'
But that is assuming we often have 'steam' to let off in the first place, not everybody has.
Now be fair, you have always had a lot - I don't mean that unkindly either.
Your brain seems to be almost permanently in overdrive and I don't think you can deny that.

Next - I agree with you about keeping emotions on an even keel, but everybody handles their emotions in their own way. Some will shout, others will argue, some get drunk, and others just weep . . . etc etc.
Again, I am sure you know that too. So on that thought, will you also see that we don't all get psychological relief from shouting on a forum. Because it may bring you some sort of satisfaction, it is pointless telling everyone else that it is best for them.

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones, because I honestly do not have many 'demons' to exorcise. I have a mini-rant from time to time, but I like to think I would scrutinise how I lived my life, and organise changes if I needed to bluster my way through every day.

I hope you understand what I mean, and that I am not condemning you in the slightest, but you do seem Mr. Angry quite often, and I am sure there is more to you than that.

No time like the present, so what about today? Could you not withdraw from outside influences for a while, and dedicate the rest of today to yourself only, and go and do something that really brings you pleasure and peace of mind, total indulgence if you like. Good luck.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
And to have fun - and I do .

I am aware of that Mark I know you so well ..

Unfortunately some members don't and think 'what you see is what you get' when others amongst us of us know that is not the case

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top